for The Case for Fanfiction

6/19/2009 c1 fgds dfgsfd gds
very thought-provoking and entertaining.
5/17/2004 c1 1The Marquise of Phantasia
Wow, that was a good essay! And I do believe that fanfics existed before now. An example perhaps of this is the poem: The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd. It was based on another poem (i forgot) and it became a classic poem.
1/8/2004 c1 10James Jago
Further thought:
Actually, literally hundreds of fanfictions have made it into book format. Star Trek, Star Wars and similar series are the most common, and I've read some that were of considerably lower quality than some of the fanfics I've read on the web- the latter generally contain more sex, for a start!
11/21/2003 c1 James Jago
If I ever get something published, then I'll know I'm a successful writer when I see a fanfic of my stuff on the web. One day, one day...
10/17/2003 c1 164outruntheavalanche
Good essay, and you made several good points. I didn't know that books lost their copy writes 70 yrs after the author's death. Interesting.

However, fanfic is not purely an online phenomenon. It's been going on much longer than since the advent of the computer, and Internet.
10/17/2003 c1 4friedGold
Thinking about it honestly if someone wrote fanfic for one of my originals I'd be slightly pissed. If it was very good I would be all worried it was better than the original, and if it was crap (and theres quite a lot of crap fanfic floating around the internet) I would just be plain pissed. I realise this is terribly hypocritical as I write fanfic (my earlier ones being of the crap variety mentioned before).

Its an interest subject and a good essay.
9/19/2003 c1 19Crow08
Very interesting. ... I can't help but wonder what will happen when Anne Rice dies. Fanfiction for the Vampire Chronicles will be posted all over the internet within hours.
8/17/2003 c1 5Lotos-eater
I have a very odd point of view on this matter, I guess.

"Fanfic is overwhelmingly an online phenomenon."

I disagree with you. I think it's been around a long time.

As for hoping it will become "an accepted part of the literary world" - I would contend that there are lots of cases of fanfic being embraced by the literary world, before it was called "fanfic."

My very favorite fanfic of all time is a poem by Tennyson. It's called "Ulysses."

Feel free to disagree.
7/14/2003 c1 8Fearless Swan
Interesting article. I do some original writings, but I started with(and still do) fan work, so it kind of hits close to home for me.
7/7/2003 c1 Just Wolf
I liked your sentament but your essay rambled on a bit. Yuo made some good points, but you should probaly cut a few paragraphs in the middle. I got bored with all the legal stuff. But that's probably just me. I'm a photograph at heart - if it can't be done with a one second press of the button, it can't be done at all. (I do know that taking good photographs is gruellingly hard work, but that's beside the point) Actually, what WAS the point? Ah yes, I did enjoy some of your essay, it was interesting and mildly amusing but it lost its point half way threw, a lot like this review.

Also, thank you for your review of FAT.

~Wolf
6/25/2003 c1 19Aftertaste of a Razorblade
Interesting. I agree with what you're saying here :)
6/24/2003 c1 8Moril
This is a very well-rounded essay.

Just another supporting detail: Stephen Baxter, a renowned science-fiction writer, has written a book entitled "The Time Ships." It is a sequel to the famous "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells. I believe that Wells' work is now out of copyright, so I don't believe that anyone can sue Baxter. I read "The Time Ships" and enjoyed it immensely, and I think that you are correct in believing that fanfic (perhaps under a different name - "fanfic" doesn't sound particularly distinguished compared to other generally accepted names of genres) could be established as "an accepted part of the literary world."
6/9/2003 c1 HoneyB
In the (highly unlikely :-p) possibility that I get fan fics about my work, I would be flattered. I started off writing in fan fic before moving to original writing, and it helped me a lot. It gives the would-be author the option of using already-made characters in their own plots, maybe inserting one or two of their own, inadvertantly creating their own original character, whom they can develop on their own.

A place like fpc or ffn with feedback can help people to develop their writing skills, regardless of whether they're posting fan fics or original fics.

Before I found ffn as it was then, I was hopeles at writing, but the feedback I got from writing fan fics encouraged me to continue writing and to improve.
6/7/2003 c1 12Random Acts of Authorship
This was interesting. I ma
6/2/2003 c1 40Special K Birmingham
I myslef would be exceedingly flattered if anyone deigned to fanfic my work. But I hate it when people write fanfic purely for laughs. There is no talent there whatsoever, characters just die and that is supposed to be funny.

I have read some excellent fanfics, but some people seem to make it just a bit too light-hearted.
33 Page 1 .. Last Next »