for Nor to Believe and Take for Granted

5/5/2003 c1 58Alyx Bradford
You're very clever - even though the subject matter was vaguely serious, the wit made me laugh a few times.

I was atheistic for quite a while, and so I both recognize and acknowledge many of your arguments. And I even sort of view religion the same way you do, if I've understood the essay correctly. My beliefs are vital to my life, but my deities aren't, necessarily. (If that makes sense).

As always, you write extremely well. You don't get bogged down in tangents or semantics, and thus you make your point quite clearly. Well done!
5/5/2003 c1 15brianhalo3
I like this piece. I'm not sure though that we are left in the wake of the passing of religions with just rational science and reason, because I think it to requires 'leaps of faith' in that it constructs its own criteria for truth, not that its wrong, truth is always defined by the criteria for truth that a system sets up for itself.

I think what we need to do is get out of the trap of saying Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism/Faith or reason. And get out of the question of whether or not religion is true or false (and even get out of the simple opposition between truth and falsity).

Some attempts made by Hegel, Kierkegaard, and Wittgenstein I think are valuable and strong, in saying that religion and faith simply (as Wittgenstein would put it) don't belong to the same language game and cannot be brought into question on either's terms.

Kierkegaard and Hegel i think say something similiar but its more like religion and faith are no longer religion and faith when they start trying to prove themselves in scientifc and 'rational' discourse.

I think what is important about science, religon ect. is how they come to know the world how they construct what it means to exist ect.

Its as meaningful documents and texts, not necessarily as true or false ones that I think they need to be approached.

Great work!
5/5/2003 c1 Dessert Recipe
Hey, this is pretty good! It's certainly better than most other stuff out there on your subject - most of which are just midless rants. I like the fact that you actually bothered to look at the issue from different points of view and stuff and...yea. Of course, I agree with everything you said, so this review *could* be a bit biased, but still it's a pretty well-structured essay that has obviously had a lot of thought put into it.

Oh, and in response to your email, I'd read Rabbiting On before mailing you, and it was what got me so confused in the first place (it's okay...it was the concept, not your explanation). But I think I'm starting to get it now...

~Dessert, who has decided, as she often does, that she can't be bothered signing in (and then wonders why her signed reviews are still in the single digits :D)
5/4/2003 c1 1David Osborn
This was worth a standing ovation.

My only problem was with the bit about extreamism. I think that banning all worship is not the way to go, nor is it a very good start. I do, however, share somewhat strong, and seemingly identical beleifs with Richard Dawkins. Fair enough that you choose not to beleive in a god. I personally think that (basing this on my beleif that god _cannot_ exsist) people who want to beleive are simply strange. I think of human life (which is unlike all other life on this earth) not as a gift given, but as "the human condition"

I had a point in my mind, but I seem to have lost it along the way...sorry.
5/4/2003 c1 Alex
O_O; Well-written
5/4/2003 c1 15book-lover freak
I like this essay. And one thing you point out when people question you about religion, here's one of my "favorites": "You don't believe in God?" "No" "Oh, you're to Hell."

(I've had that a few times. But if my "non-beliefs" tell me that Hell doesn't exist, then why am I going there?) You had good ideas and a well-written essay.
5/4/2003 c1 jk-89
Hey, this was alright Loganberry.

Would the Muslim correspondant happen to be me?

Im glad you didn;t do the whole 'there is no proof God exists' argument, as it has really been bandied around. I'm also gald that you pointed out that extremism is not only confined to religion.

And what do you base your morals on?

God essay though, not offensive and well..interesting.
5/3/2003 c1 Alfred von Schlieffen
Very extensive. I'm honestly quite impressed. "Tell Them Stories", another debatible 'essay' by an Athiest, is quite a piece of shit. All this author does is use assumptions about the Christian religion to his advantage. For instance, he believed that it was against the Christian religion to have babies. Now obviously, around 45% of the world's population would not exist then. However, your essay takes facts about religion and the people who practice the religions. Your essay did not give any direct redicule towards any religions either-i like that. i personally believe in Evolution, and i'm reading the bible from cover to cover, (although it may take a year or tow with one chapter per night) to help understand religion better.

again, very good and extensive essay indeed-the best one i've ever read on religion.

~Alfred von Schleiffen~
5/3/2003 c1 15Radyn
It's not that religious people are wrong, it's just that they have different beliefs than atheists. Doesn't make them necesarily wrong, it just makes them different. A definite, granite, solid set of laws doesn't and can't exist, which you may have hinted at in your essay.

Very nicely written though. Like the ideas and agree with them.
39 « Prev Page 1 .. 3