for Musings

1/3/2004 c10 MrFlames
You should bend over again, I don't think Admiral is done mindraping you.
1/2/2004 c10 57tofujunky
"I took it down after a day or so, because, as Admiral pointed out to me"

NO! Bring it back, I didn't get to read it yet. Why on earth would you listen to Admiral in the first place - he's a prick.

"I had used quotes from another author on the site (Fallingofftheworld) without asking his permission first."

It was a rebuttal, wasn't it? If such steps were necessary, half the essays in this section would not exist.

"I wasn't trying to pass his work off as my own or anything, but I quoted it and I shouldn't have."

Why not? As long as you give him credit for his work, you're not doing anything illegal or wrong.

"but I think it's highly unlikely that he will grant it since it is a somewhat brutal rebuttal of one of his essays."

You see, some people have problems with others using their quotes because they're against anything that would prove their stupidity. I'm serious, who the hell would be against civil, logical responses . . . well, besides the authors you're about to make a ridicule out of.

Now, sweetie, I hope you still have a copy. I suggest you upload it, if Fallingoftheworld doesn't appreciate the publicity, then he could always notify you of his displeasure. But until then, leave the essay for me to enjoy.

"Peace, love and mungbeans Tiefling"

Mungbeans . . . oh my, I believe this would be the first time ever this delicious treat was ever mentioned. :)

Sorry about the length of this review - I'm quite furious about the pathetic advice Admiral left you.

To Admiral:
"My big problem is getting a review that has nothing to do with the subject matter and is just an excuse to send a message to me or another reviewer." - Admiral

Yes, you wrote that - sue me if you like.
1/2/2004 c5 30g21lto
Again, another excellent essay which touches on both sides of the issue. Some gay people probably do exacerbate the problem. A lot of straight people do, too.
Fear of gays, I think, is probably the biggest cause of discrimination. And I think one of the reasons that it's so fear-inducing is that the mere mention of homosexuality to children is considered as "inappropriate" as talking about heterosexual sex with them. Anyway. My thoughts.
Excellent essay, again. I'm enjoying this series!
1/2/2004 c4 g21lto
This is a very intelligent and well-argued essay on the Church and gay rights. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But you don't have the right to force your opinions, or the legal manifestation of your opinions () on anyone. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.
I liked the essay very much, and I'm going to read the others now!
1/2/2004 c10 90The Zaniak
Actually, I think review is legal under the Fair Use act. And over the last 3 months I've been doing a lot of Copyright Law research...and your rebuttal was a review in many ways.
12/26/2003 c10 Mbwun
I've always been a fan of yours, but every once in a while, you write something that really shines... well done; I don't think anyone could've said it better.
~He Who Walks On All Fours
12/26/2003 c10 Admiral
Just a question: Did you get fallingofftheworld's permission before using quotes from his essay. Just adding the disclaimer is not enough in this instance.
12/25/2003 c10 9fugiguru
as a relatively religious catholic, i agree. religion and politics need to be kept separate, for the health of both the government and the religion. i think fallingofftheworld needs to look back to the middle ages, and look at the corruption in the christian religion at the time that the pope had equal or more political clout than the king. if any religion gets involved, that sort of corruption would follow again. nice job on this essay.
11/2/2003 c2 5Lappy
Wow ... I totally agree. There should be more people like you ... willing to express their opinions without worrying about other peoples' reactions. I wish I could do that but I'm just another nobody in society. Can't wait to read the rest of your essays!
11/2/2003 c9 57tofujunky
I'm a heterosexual woman, so this may sound a little awkward; I love you Tiefling, passionately.

"It seems that some Christians believe that there can be no morals without religion."

I recently came across a poem ("Without" by Spirit of the restless)- one of many, I might add - proving the above statement to be true. To say religion is the source of morals is simply ridiculous. I credit my pure heart for my good conscience, not God or the Bible.

"This is both erroneous and insulting."

It most certainly is.

"The best anyone can do is try their best to do what they believe is right."

Exactly . . . morality is what we PERCEIVE to be right and wrong. As history shows, one could be quite religious without being moral.
10/26/2003 c9 2Thren
Very well done. I agree with most of your points and find that you explained them with great elegance.

I especially enjoyed your sections on Urban Myths and Secular ethics.

Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes

Thren
10/17/2003 c7 1Jon Preston
Wonderful essay as a whole, I must say. I agree with you on pretty much all of your points- especially on morality without religion- but I do find myself with one question:

You say the following:

'Adultery and incest are wrong because they cause harm to people.'

Now, I'm not going to argue adultery, because the word connotes cheating- adultery without the knowledge and consent of the uninvolved partner, which is someone's personal issue.

However, I do feel like arguing incest. What is it about incest that hurts other people? Incest between consenting adults is no different then standard coitus, with the simple addition of similar genetic background. If steps are taken against the possibility of impregnation, then there is no chance for a 'differently formed' child to be born out of reinforced bad genetic traits. Even if one is born, the couple still accepts the responsibility for the child, and deal with the ensuing developments in their own way. In fact, with proper genetic research, it can be seen before the act whether or not the possibility for negative reinforcement exists; incestual relationships can actually be much safer, genetically, then relationships with a stranger off the street.

Other then that issue, though, I think your essay(s) is(are) excellent. Good job.
10/17/2003 c9 3Le Creature
Oh, a new Musing. This was nice. I, in fact, have tried making my own moral code (Its posted here; called "Loki's Ergos") which is secular in nature. I think they came out well.

Also, I heard one statistic that in their relative numbers, there are 10% the number of Atheists than religious people. (the statistic was like: Atheists are 10% of the population, but only 1% of prison population) It has a variety of flaws (I can't check it out; Atheists tend to come from more wealthy regions; upon reaching prison, people may become religious) but it is interesting to think about. Nice essay,

_Le Creature_
10/17/2003 c9 1Just one in a million
Quite terse and well thought out that was. I concur, indeed, morals do exist without religion. Now, I shall go and check out Tofujunky's poetry...
10/17/2003 c9 11Queen of the Harpies
Short and to the point. Well, it was meant to be short and to the point. Very good job. I agree with you completely on this.
108 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »