for The Price

10/23/2005 c1 40T41N7
Wow, you're really good. I like writing war stories because they can be so emotional and cut deep into the heart of philosophy. The emotions that you are able to bring out in war stories are the thoughts that can make you just sit and think, but without actually thinking about anything, just staring off in a kind of meditation. I doubt that makes any sense, but okay... Anyways, I suggest reading "The Thing's They Carried" sometime if you haven't read it before, it's a really good book about Vietnam. It seems like the kind of book you would like, and it is a bunch of short stories compiled together. Check it out some time.
11/18/2001 c1 TylerJRM7
good. i'm planning to join the marines after school... hopefully i never have to feel this way.
12/13/2000 c1 geeza
good...i love stuff like this
12/11/2000 c1 TRACY
YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB WITH THIS STORY. I LIKED HOW YOU TOOK ONE MAN'S FEELINGS ABOUT THE WAR AND KILLING. YOU SHOWED YOUR CHARACTER AT FIRST AS "JUST ANOTHER MARINE" BUT THEN SINGLED HIM OUT TO DESCRIBE HIS FEELINGS. GOOD CONTRAST, GREAT JOB.
12/11/2000 c1 11Kilroy
I thought of this story while at work. I was on my break, looking at toys in a toy store. I was looking at G.I. Joes, because they're cool (I'm 18!), and G.I. Joe knock-offs, particularly, The Ultimate Soldier. They had a U.S.M.C. Jungle Fighter, and a Japanese Infantryman, circa 1944. I just got a picture in my head of the Japanese soldier sprawled face-down in the mud, and of the Marine sitting on a fallen tree, helmet at his feet, hanging his head. I started to wonder what was going through his mind. This is it. For the record, I don't refer to Japanese people as "Japs," or any related term. I used it to get across the idea that they were the enemy, and the enemy is always dehumanized to make them easier to kill. I harbor no dislike for people of Japanese, or German, or Italian descent. Or anyone else for that matter. Except terrorists. And mall shoppers. For the most part, they're idiots.