for OK, this is bad

9/11/2009 c2 4xrawritskalix
Once again, I agree with you completely. I have read so many bad stories over the years it's not even funny. And you are completely right about people not taking advice. I think I said this in another review that I gave you, but I usually stick to the end of a story just for laughs. It definitely cheers me up. But when I kindly give them advice, or even to tell them to possibly get a beta, they just post another story that is just as bad, or even worse. It makes me so mad but I do just deal with it. By the way, I'm not a big fan of songfics. I don't like reading stories that are basically just song lyrics and maybe one or two character thoughts. If I see that something is a songfic in its summary, I won't read it. Okay, I'm going to keep this review shorter than some of my others so I'm done now. :)

~Kali
3/19/2007 c2 Sophie Ulquiorra Allen
Even though this review seems to be three years late, I love this little essay. You make a lot of good points, and it has encouraged me to be more observant of my own errors, and to not be so lazy as to not fix them when they arise.
11/28/2005 c2 5snipsa
I definitely agree with a lot that you've said here. I usually don't like this type of essay as it mostly only deals with the bad, and not how to better the work, or how to write a decent review - especially this.

I just wish more people were aware of the points you make in this, I'm learning everyday, both on fanfiction and fictionpress. I've definitely learned to research more and make sure to get rid of all possible grammar and spelling mistakes to the best of my abilities. It's difficult to deal with harsh reviews, but the reasons for those I do believe you've explained really well.

Very good, hope to read that Mary Sue one you've been promising!
6/11/2004 c2 10Malicious Scars
Wow. I really enjoyed this. It's so bland to just say it was informative, but I really learned a lot! You need to lighten up when critiquing your own work. ^.^ I hope to see more of this in the very near future. Keep up the good work.
**Scars**
9/26/2003 c1 1The one who sees
Wow im reviewing. Ok this bothers me. Sure there are some (alot) of bad stories out there but honestly what right do you have to not let them write? If you stop the writing they dont get better. Just ignore them
9/26/2003 c1 Maigon Jeslite
I justed wanted a clarification on the "proving you can do better" point. You mean mainly in actual errors, right? Like grammar or spelling, or if something they've said doesn't make sense. Like "whispered quietly" obviously being quite is the point of whispering. Because if someone comments on your style of writing it's a matter of opoinion, and so they really shouldn't do it. If one person uses more description than another, but both writers are good despite the difference then the one reviewing doesn't have grounds to try and correct the other.

Otherwise yeah. Good points.
9/26/2003 c1 27Loganberry
I think I'd agree with the bulk of that, though I do think that the odd small suggested edit *is* reasonable in a review. Not the whole story, of course: I'm one of those (rare?) people who actually enjoys beta-reading and editing (which are, of course, not the same thing), and also people doing it to me.

As for the plot: in original fiction, I'd agree with you. But I think that in fanfic, there are occasions when a plot point is *so* far away from the "spirit" of the original that it *is* justified to not only complain, but to suggest a specific alternative.

Of course, this is something to be done with the utmost reluctance, and only on a subject you know backwards. As an example, if someone wrote a Watership Down story that had a rabbit running from Efrafa to Watership in an absurdly short time, I think it would be acceptable for me to say, "this is silly - but if you changed Watership to Vleflain, things would work better". WD is the only story I would dare do this on, but as I say I don't think the prohibition should be absolute.

I look forward to the next chapter of this! =:)
9/26/2003 c1 7Lee Harvey Kennedy
Very well written. I tend to empathize with essays intended to help others on this site. Problem is, the ones who need it the most stay away from it.

I must admit, the title first caught my eye. I'd like to think that I don't need to be told what to do when I confront a bad story, but your sense of humor carried me through without asking "What relevance does this have for me?" Quite the contrary, I even think I obtained some good points from this essay. Once again, very well done. It was an entertaining and informative read.
9/26/2003 c1 James Jago
Well, in the US you have the First Amendment, which gives people a constitutionally protected right to present absolute rubbish for public consumption. We have something similar in Britain, I think. How else could the News of the World stay in print?

I don't take my writing seriously at all, insofar as I write mostly for my own amusement. I've had one or two critical reviews, but never any actual personal abuse (excepting that which I have recieved in a huge debate over one of Admiral's dafter essays). Is there a link between these two facts?

You have your priorities a little screwed, though. Sex only coming third? Holy veneral diseases, as Robin might have said!
9/26/2003 c1 9Admiral Rupert
You have a good point. I myself avoid fanfiction in general. Why? Most of it is written by people with no writing ability whatsoever, with a 2nd-grade education in spelling and grammar. So I tend to avoid it.

And one tip: this site is made for authors who want reviews. If you don't care what other folks say, don't post here.

One more tip before I go write another essay: I've noticed that sometimes you can tell a story is bad simply because it's been there a while and has 0 reviews. REVIEW, whether it's a "Good job!" review, or a "Your work sucks" review. Please!
9/26/2003 c1 Kementari3
That was quite an interesting essay you wrote there. I agree with almost everything you write yet i have never been able to flame a person on their writing (or really even given constructive critisism), even though i have read some VERY bad work before. I think it's time i gave people my honest oppinion and stop telling them what i know they want to hear. I'm glad that someone has finally written what we all think (but rarely ever do) when reviewing. P.S As an after thought, i really like your name. Is it based on the film or on one of Descartes work?