for My Modest Proposals

2/10/2006 c1 50Arael the 15th
Though vegetarian and vegan dieting does promote a healthier diet, this is only applicable to those who recieve ALL necessary nutrients. Bear also in mind that a lack of meat in one's system gradually deteriorates one's sex drive as well as muscle-mass (the latter due to the lack of fats needed to build muscle bulk). In the end, it's not that meat is causing people to become obese and out of shape; such terrible logic is like blaming a cigaratte company for your emphazima (sp?). The truth in reality is that people are obese because they indulge in fatty foods (not just meats) and do not exercize enough to burn off excess calories. What is needed is moderation and exercise, not a radical and almost Orwellian change in a nation's lifestyle.

Your essay also seemed to lack the subtleties of Swift along with detailing of your reasons and ideas. I remember that Swift's Proposal was more organized and went into more detail as to identifying the nation's problem, what could be done, and how it will be done. A nice attempt as far as speaking out for those who substitute other foods in place of animal flesh, but I am afraid it lacks a truely firm stance and reasoning.
9/25/2005 c1 8Just Another Airhead
Hehe, I love this. And - as a reluctant meateater - I kind of agree with it :P

I used to be a veggie when I was younger but slipped back into the habit when all that my mum would ever buy me to eat was pot noodles (sorry, but a choice between never ending pot noodles and slaughtering animals? bye bye Mr Lamb, see ya in heaven!)

I can't use as that an excuse now though. I'm old enough to buy and cook my own food *cowers in shame*

I would LOVE for meat to become illegal, because beside the cruelty -which is bad enough- eating dead flesh is sick. My sister (who is a dedicated vegitarian with much more will power and better culinary skills than me) have a theory that if way back when out ancestors were out hunting little furry things, they ate their dead as well, (as in dead relatives) then we'd all be doing it now too. And funerals would be like a running buffet with a salad bar by the open coffin.

Disgusting, I know. :S

Anyway, glad I read this! I got the link off fp lj, so I'll add you.

Good job :)
9/4/2005 c2 Omnivore again
Whoa, audacious and ribald. Lol, mandatory euthenasia...
9/4/2005 c1 Omnivore
Heh, thank God you aren't trying to revolutionize America. I'd be one of those arrested at a black market for meat. No, I'd just move to Canada. I love meat. People have eye teeth for a reason, and, as much as I admire those who purge such carnal instincts from themselves, I couldn't live that way. Great article. :D
2/13/2005 c1 1TheLonePower
1)If there is, hypothetically, a God, he put animals here to be eaten and killed. Read the Bible, you can't use God in your agrument because he supported animal use and slaughter in his holy book.

2)A meatless nation would collapse...we need protein. You should think out your arguments before you slap them up online.
10/5/2004 c2 9Celeste Se'oir
Oh my god, you sound like my sister. 20pts for hitting an old person, 100pts for just knocking there cane away from them! But I do agree, in one since, they are a bit of a nuiscence. But think of it this way, they are a valuable source of information and tend to make great advisors when you have taken over the world, so at least keep the smart ones alive when that happens. That is, if I don't beat you to it.
Later,
~Ffuffy~
7/18/2004 c1 Twitch3
Amazing. It's like Jonathan Swift wrote it himself! Keep up the great work.
7/17/2004 c1 David Stephen
Interesting concept. Interesting
5/29/2004 c1 Celeste Se'oir
LOl, nice. You'd make a fine politition some day. Though something that would be practically inpossible to happen in the us considering more then half the population lives on fast food (not myself of course).
Good luck with your cause!
~Ffuffy~
5/14/2004 c1 64chicanerysmile
Nice idea. Are you a vegetarian? I don't actually agree with this, as I'm not a vegetarian. If we were not meant to eat animals, they would not have been made edible, and so it is natures way, which we must follow in order to survive. Huh. That's actually kinda good. Load of crap, of course.
I just can't summon up the energy to give a toss. I realise now that there was absolutely no point in this review. So, bye. B.
I'm not as loser like as I sound, I promise.
4/23/2004 c1 78LovesLostCat
OMG i had to do one of these in english, mine was so funny it was about putting all ugly people in a cave under the ground. oh well, just thought i'd say
4/20/2004 c1 121Seeker of the Way
Thank you for the review! OI! I HAD to read this one next! I had to do this myself! I ALSO got an A! Oh, this is a review - Ok, this was very well done! Ok, back the important thing (me) -just kidding! Really the language was great and the voice was just like Swift!
OK, back to me now? Thanks! So, I have never stressed over a writing assignment more in my LIFE before or since this one! I mean, how can I come close to matching this man's genious satirical wit (intimidated!). I finally decided to do it on the starving Ethiopians! It was quite wicked! I proposed that instead of feeding them (think about how much FOOD they'd need! AND ... they live in the desert so they'll just starve again, like filling a bucket with a big hole in it) and I proposed stuff letting them die and harden in the dessert and selling them to warlords as weapons and stuff. Wel, that is from my dodgey memory, so ... It was so MEAN! But, like Swift, satirical meaning I was trying to say the opposite! i lost it, but if it turns up you'll be the first to know!
2/15/2004 c1 36obsidian katana
wonderful essay! yeah, this does deserve an A+. :) i'm not a vegetarian, but i enjoyed this a lot. and i read "a modest proposal" by jonathan swift, i had to write an essay analyzing that satire. anyway, great job on this. really amusing. nice work.
1/5/2004 c1 7J. Wilder
"As for animal cruelty, they get a nice life until the butcher"
Yes, I'm sure all the cows waiting in a line to be slaughtered are just having the time of their lives.
"Eating meat isnt evil"
I think it is.
"Plus where would we get protien for are strong muscules?"
"Our," not "are." How about eggs?
"I aint gonna start eating peanut butter wildly either."
Why not? Peanut butter's good!
Okay, now to critique the actual essay instead of its reviews...The language is good for a satire, it's pretty funny. I don't completely get what you're trying to say, though.
12/31/2003 c1 b.staley
Yeah, I had to write one of these things in my Philosophy class. Only mine was about advertising. My proposal was that we ban all on-world advertising and instead rent out the Moon for ad space. And, once the Moon had run out of space, we would then begin to use space itself as a place to sell our goods. You know, satellites zooming by and everything. And you can't say no if space tells you to eat a Snickers Bar. But over all a well done piece. I enjoyed it.
25 Page 1 2 Next »