for Happy Birthday

3/29/2004 c1 37Sunflower Philosophy
My birthday this year wasn't a basket of peaches either, but it wasn't my fault, my friend's sister decided to get married on it so I had to sort of politely forget the fact that it was my birthday so I wouldn't bother the celebrations (I was at this wedding of course). Last year it was a real problem because it was turned into a national day of mourning. Flags were lowered and the radios only played sad songs, and there I was trying to be happy on my sixteenth birthday. The year itself turned out pretty miserable, too.
But I still believe in birthdays. I view them as a way to start anew. Sort of like a new year's day. I don't mind getting older because it keeps my goals in sight. Plus, it's ever closer to the day I'll sail out of adolescence once and for all and be a human being again without friends doing the stupidest things imaginable and me changing mood every five minutes. I also view birthdays as a way to give to other people, and that makes me happy- to see other people enjoying themselves while eating my cake and singing and everything.
I'm aiming for my eighteenth birthday in another ten months and I KNOW it will be better than the last two, because I'm going to MAKE it!
About the poem itself, again, your imagery is fantastic- "paper boat in the storm" and throwing your troubles so the stars can catch them and shoot them at other people. Love it.
m~* Sunflower, anyone?
2/14/2004 c1 Love and Destroy
It's really good! It's very poetic and meaningful! Sunrise
2/14/2004 c1 H. M. Banson
I enjoy birthdays, but I love this sardonic spin on them! Nice! You do excellent work, I enjoy you poetry.
Always,
~Hollie
2/6/2004 c1 44superfufu
hahah.
i like spending my birthdays with my closest friends, and it has always been happy. i just love the ceiling and my walls. hah.
anyway, it was a good poem. keep up, you're a good poet, but you could always be better.
TheRetardedmaleB*tch
2/4/2004 c1 53Impressionist
can't wait until you hit the midlife crisis stage. :D
1/29/2004 c1 Just Wolf
beautifully sarcastic. there's a strong sense of barely surpressed anger in this poem, which i really enjoyed. i loved "time passes, flies/like an arrow/straightn for its target." great imaage, even if the arrow mataphor is a bit cliched.
also, thanks so so so much for your review of my story "sexual prowess".
1/13/2004 c1 64not sure yet
ahahahha, very interesting, i love this one lots though, different and very well written, got swept away by the flow at first without fully getting the meaning, think its cause im tired that the words took a long while to absorb, anywayz, muchly fascinating...and i do have to say that i agree with you on some points...though, i do like my birthday for others, i dunno, either way, muchly enjoyed, excellent job
1/10/2004 c1 95unjaundiced
ooh i like that. some interesting phrases... then references to 'the stench of old age' streaking up my nose. *covers nose* great, now i'm gonna be hiding on every birthday. n.n.
er... sorry about the flooding. i'm kind of scatterbrained and wasn't paying attention. i am so ashamed. heh heh... um.. i'm not very good with titles so feel free to suggest some.
1/9/2004 c1 25pleasecometrue
Awesome poem, I love it.
1/7/2004 c1 Lori Brennan
You may not like your birthday now, but you'll wish for this birthday again in 20 years. Even so, I never feel great about birthdays. I feel bad for what I don't get, then greedy for feeling bad about it. There is also that extra year added on.
12/31/2003 c1 25TylerB
happy birthday then :D
12/20/2003 c1 killthisaccountitsdead
i liked it as a poem, and i'm afraid i share your fear of old age, but i must admit that i shallowly enjoy birthdays, especially the money i get on them, and the truthful cards i get from friends, because it's one of those few times when it is socially acceptable to say what is really on your mind.
i LOVED this: "Physically, a year older,
Mentally disabled". this just stated the whole point of the poem to me, it's such a sharp saying, especially put in the context of the poem. i fear old age almost as much as i fear physical pain, and maybe, theoretically, i despise it even more. even now, i watch as the most powerful and wise people i know slowly lose their edge, dull, and fade - all that with nothing more than the calm acceptance that their wisdom has allowed them to reach... it makes me shiver.
12/20/2003 c1 41Razor Sharp Kisses
This is truly beautiful. It really conveys the emotions and feelings that come with being another year older. Not like we're very old anyhow, but I related to this greatly. I connected, and it kind of felt as if you were writing about your life wasting away, but you're only reminded when you lose another year to nothingness. ::shrugs:: But all in all, this is great. Lovely.
12/20/2003 c1 29slumberdoll
a happy birthday to you. xD
12/19/2003 c1 612simpleplan13
its true very true and also sad... i like it... happy belated b-day
19 Page 1 2 Next »