for Think First, Ask Questions Later

5/23/2004 c1 59Spootasia Tomoe
*nod nod* yes, a lesson to us all. and yet we must still practice this good habit in stride. should someone look evil-ish and out-to-get-us-ish, one should be on the look-out, no? they don't have to flip and streak off, but while we know NOTHING of anyone walking by (usually) it's very hard to trust a fellow human. shouldn't be like that, but sometimes it is. we just have to try to be kind,and hope other peoples will take a hint and smile our way too.
1/28/2004 c1 neermore
I almost gave you a fake flame for this, but then I thought you probably would take it seriously, and then it wouldn't be funny despite being ironic. Oh well...
This was well written, I enjoyed it.
It's logical, and maybe it'll make me think more about people before labeling them as "moron," "potential rapist," "rude person who flipped me off." I said I'd think MORE about it, not that I'd never label anyone as any of these things. That's the problem. If everyone gives everyone the benefit of the doubt completely, we'd end up with bad situations. "Oh, what are you doing in my house in the middle of the night taking my jewelry and pointing a gun at my child?" "I'm trying to give your kid these jewels that I found on the street outside your house, and then I saw this gun on the floor and picked it up right when you came in, that's all." "Alright, then..."
yeah, sorry, i am pointless right now...
as i said earlier, good essay in content and composition.
1/20/2004 c1 32HanakinStarbuck
Great essay! It really was..well, I can't think of the right word, but I liked it a lot, and I think that others should read this too, because more people should think about how others feel.
Hanakin:D
1/18/2004 c1 carmice3
Okay I sense your frustration. But how else are we to form opinions about people if not from what we observe of them? The guy in the car might have a pregnant wife. He might be a real nice guy. But right now all I'm seeing is an idiot who almost got people killed. In the absence of more information am I not permitted to make a judgement call based on such that I have observed?
If I try to explain away the stupid things people do to and around me, I'll be making excuses for their bad behavior! There is a certain point where you just have to go: "I don't know everything about you, but from what I have observed about you andyour conduct, you are a jerk." Maybe if you get to know them you'll change your mind. But untill then...
1/16/2004 c1 7CrazyEMOkid
Finally, something that was well written, smart, funny, and NOT something about how God does/n't exist or something controversial like that. Yet, it was simply something for all of us to think about. Thanks a lot! Peace,
crazyEMOkid
1/12/2004 c1 27Loganberry
While I quite agree that a bit more thinking wouldn't go amiss, rather than precipitate action, I don't think your interstate example works too well. Getting to hospital may be a legitimate reason for driving fast, but it doesn't excuse driving dangerously. And being late for a conference *certainly* isn't a defence against breaking the speed limit.
1/12/2004 c1 10lapleinelune
This is a very good essay, and it almost ranks up there with Steven Covey's Habits of Mind.
1/11/2004 c1 30g21lto
I think this essay should be required reading for everyone at my school (including me, admittedly). Heck, it should be required reading for *everyone*. You've put onto paper (or whatever you would call it when you write on computer) a valuable observation and lesson. One piece of advice I can give you is to stop referring to "people these days" so much, because then people will automatically think, "when is she saying that people were different?" The idea of the "good old days" is at the least nebulous and at the worst cliche. But otherwise, well-written piece!