for Writing Speculative Fiction: A Nerd's Guide

11/4/2005 c11 Sally-andersonn
Thsi is the best chapter so far. Lots of info.
11/4/2005 c6 Sally-andersonn
YES! YES! YES! I am not having an orgasm but I am very happy with the things you have pointed out in stereo typical heroes.
11/3/2005 c3 Sally-andersonn
Very interestng, although the PS was annoying. Why would you think that all heroes in Sci Fi are male? I think you should rephrase that and maek it less offensive., as you hinted that females charactersin Sci Fi are useless and just get in way.
11/3/2005 c2 Sally-andersonn
Your ideas are verry god.
11/2/2005 c23 117Agathon
It's very true that a stories pace is often more than a little off, especially from what I've seen on FictionPress. For soundtracks I definitely stick to classical: Gustav Holst's "The Planets" is an obvious choice, and I also use Mahler, Beethoven, Bach, and some Debussy. I used to write to Star Wars soundtracks, but I've decided I don't want to be even subconsciously influenced in that way. This whole guide you have here is an excellent compilation of things all sci-fi writers should know, truly a treasure-trove of valuable information. And I share your frustration with the sci-fi genre, though I think the fantasy genre is suffering much more from cliches. Most sci-fi out there today doesn't much interest me; that's part of why I'm writing my own with Crusade? To interest myself. I'm very interested in starting with a certain momentous event and then trying to reason out the reaction-action-reaction chain of humans as a society. Very good work here, though, and some of it could come in handy for me ;)
10/31/2005 c1 Sally-andersonn
Aiya! I get our point but why are there 25 chapters! it's intimidating!
10/21/2005 c3 7Alankria
'many generals shortly after WWII thought that bombers, not missiles were the way the Russians would launch a first strike.' I thank you for teaching me something new about that period of history. And thinking about it, it makes sense.
10/18/2005 c18 Alankria
Hey. In one of my stories, some people gain psychic powers because of genetic mutation. The cause: people have moved to terraformed planets in the (fictional) Bek Star-belt. However, terraforming does not create copies of Earth, it merely makes planets habitable to humans. Consequently, alien elements/chemicals exist in the atmosphere/flora/etc, and over generations these affect the genetic structure of the humans who settled the planet(s). On one planet, this causes 'psychic powers'. Ie: telepathy, telekinesis, healing. I sense that you would find this a little clichéd. Is there anything I could change to make it less clichéd? The psychic powers' importance in the plot is that the villain possesses them, something that the heroes (who have no psychic powers) must overcome when they eventually have to face him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
10/18/2005 c23 Alankria
Too true, too true. I personally listen to trance for fight/battle scenes because, as you say, the tempo is there. And Goo Goo Dolls are my favourite for fairly sad bits, because they combine angst and rock music; though if it's a really depressing bit, I find some good old kill-yourself music to listen to (what you call emo, I guess, and yeah, it mostly sucks... who wants to listen to music that makes you want to slash your wrists? When I'm upset I listen to Linkin Park, lets me shout out my frustrations. Anyway...) Yeah. Good advice, you've really got some good stuff here in this column. And yeah, the Evil Overlord list is *awesome*. The villain in one of my stories is going to be hugely affected by that list, as I've realised that he otherwise would have been a cliché.
10/12/2005 c24 Mbwun
An excellent example of carriers in space (and semi-realistic, at least, as realistic as carriers in space can get) is the new "Battlestar Galactica." That, and it's one of the best shows on TV, science fiction or otherwise.
10/9/2005 c14 Arkash
I read this and agree with some of what you say, like knives and bows and arrows. Still, space weapons in Sci-fi have a certain appeal.

You have good points here. *_*
10/9/2005 c25 Arkash
Yeah, I'll be asking many questions on weapons.

Nice of you to help us out. *_*
10/7/2005 c20 12Monev11235
Ju Jitsu correction. In Ju Jitsu (at least the style I do), there are:

-Hand techniques (Yawara)

-Throws (Nage-no-kata)

-Submissions, pins, strangles, chokes, suffocations, armbars and other joint locks, among other things... (Shime-no-kata)

-Advanced Throws and Submissions (I haven't even started these) (Oku-no-kata)

Weapons used include:

-Knives (Duh)

-Yawarabo (It's a small 'stick' about the diameter of a finger [a little bigger] and a bit longer than your hand from bottom edge to thumb. Yawarabo are used for pressure points and some strikes.)

-Baton (... It's a baton)

-Bokken (A heavy wooden sword for breaking important stuff [like bones].)

I'm not sure if I've forgotten anything...

Brazilian Ju Jitsu (Jiu Jitsu) involves a lot of disabling your opponent with your legs, from the ground. I've never faced a Jiu Jitsu user, but I've heard it's quite frustrating.

Now that that's over... Clarification of my comment about my story. I wrote most of it late at night, while I was a bit tired tired, so it seems a little... off, somehow... at least, at the beginning. Plus there are scattered grammar and spelling errors. But whatever.
10/6/2005 c25 Monev11235
just for the hell of it, if you could check out The Enforcers...

I don't really like the way the first few chapters went - possibly because I wrote them late at night...
9/10/2005 c24 35Scraper
Yeah, makes a lot of sense. But it is a well known fact that movies prefer being flashy over logic, and a good example is the Matrix which is one of the most stupid movies of all time. (The story line sucks like hell... They just used loads of effects and then hope that people would overlook the fact that everything about it sucks.)
242 « Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 .. Last Next »