for Writing Speculative Fiction: A Nerd's Guide

3/29/2006 c27 27Typewriter King
The Aztec truly knew how to win the hearts and minds of their enemy.

This chapter reminds me of a project I dreamed up a few years ago. I planned to put Lego Mindstorm creations on an island, and have them compete in spear-fishing events. They'd then submit the hearts of the fish to the Sun God.

"The , by the way, is for a favorite “F-word” of mine."

The is an f-word? Either the site scrubbed something there, or I'm just missing something.
3/29/2006 c27 5Heatless Flame
Hm, I don't totally agree with all this. I agree, many of the things you mentioned are cliched, but sometimes you can take a common race and transform it. In my story Everlasting Battle, many of the characters are part-elf. And no, not the elf that is an inch tall and has wimpy magic. My elves more resemble Eragon, but mine are not god-like, or Lord of the Rings, but mine do not always use bows are little, tiny, "stick" swords. Check it out and see if its cliched, okay? Once again, Everlasting Battle.
3/29/2006 c1 Heatless Flame
Sounds good! I shall continue reading. If you wanted, you could send this to fictionpress to put on the column page.
3/29/2006 c27 7Alankria
That mayan idea was very cool. A good column here, showing interesting possibilities that have nothing to do with elves.
1/9/2006 c26 1rrmehta364
i'd have to agree with all the developments except for the one about capitalism. I'm all for capitalism because the human psyche won't accept anything different. However, its perfectly reasonable that aliens would work much better under another form of economics. Well thats all for that.
1/3/2006 c26 7Skyrunner
I just waited to say I really liked this. It was educational, and gave me a little bit of a creative boost I feel I've been needing recently. I might even end up referring to this in the future.
1/3/2006 c1 Edcrab
This is great- I'd like to think of myself as a fairly accomplished author, but whether I want to admit to learning things or not it's still a very entertaining read ;)

You don't advertise your own works excessively either, and I doubt *I* could've resisted that temptation.

Even though some of the cliches you mention will be well known to many of us, your writing style just cracks me up!

My only "negative" remark for your vast swathe of chapters is that many of them could've been a little bigger- although as you yourself say, it'd be quite possible to write a small novel on every topic, so I suppose it's best that you don't give yourself room to meander.
1/2/2006 c11 hah
Hmm, coming back to this chapter, I noticed something. You mention the Star Wars laser system for taking out missiles. What you negelected to include was that Star Wars didn't work. Period. Star Wars was another propeganda weapon. You can't get the wavelength right to take down all kinds of missiles because you don't know the alloys that make them up, and only the specific wavelength will effectively neutralize the missile. It was a great weapon though, because the Russians thought it worked, thus they wouldn't fire missiles.
1/2/2006 c1 hah
I like this series of essays, always have, never really reviewed until now. Its nit-picky and all, and its not like I want to take down countries or anything. But isn't China still communist? China is a pretty large scale, and despite American propeganda, China is the richest country economicaly right now. Hell, one of the three main languages needed for businessmen is Mandarin Chinese.

Anyways, nice chap, and yes I hate those superweapon cliches, too. lol.
12/24/2005 c25 25Master Chief
I really thought this was an interesting find. I really only read the segments i thought pertained to the kinds of things that i write. Some of your thoughts i agreed with and some i didn't, but all in all this is a pretty interesting read. I'd ask that you take a look at my cliche-ridden story called Alpha Squadron and let me know what you think?

M.C.
11/30/2005 c20 2zathura
Very interesting...I actually noticed a few cliche's in my own stories. There are a couple things I'd like to put forth, or get cleared up. While it's common sense that lasers move at the speed of light (since they ARE just concentrated beams of light), a type of energy like plasma, which by my understanding is more like a superheated liquid/gaseous substance, would actually move at a speed that could leave a chance to react. (depending on the type of weapon that fired it.)

Another thing i was a little disappointed at was that you seem to keep delaying the chapter on nano-technology/biotechnology, as these are my "areas of expertise" though I can't say I've got any sort of degree to back it up.
11/5/2005 c20 Sally-andersonn
Great research in this cahp.
11/5/2005 c18 Sally-andersonn
I like your rant.
11/4/2005 c14 Sally-andersonn
I like your ideas. Great chapter too. again and again and again!
11/4/2005 c13 Sally-andersonn
Funny! This was so funny. Your writing is getting better.
242 « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 .. Last Next »