for Against Animal Testing

2/4/2005 c1 33Tiefling
I'm against animal testing too.

Your essay's reasonably well written, but it would be better if you relied less on emotive images and more on facts (give your sources, in detail), and gave it a bit more structure.

Just out of curiosity, are you a vegetarian? Or a vegan? Animals suffer in the meat and dairy industries every day, not to save lives, but merely for our pleasure.
8/28/2004 c1 25Novus Orsus
I am not going to go into this heavily, because I think much of this is correct, and this is your opinion. However, I have the impression you have bought into a lot of animal actvists' propaganda. You might want to make sure you thoroughly check your sources when you see things like this. Anyone can lie. It's also good to check thoroughly into the opinions of people you disagree with. I'm not condoning all animal testing, but I think some of this has been exaggerated to you. If you'd like to discuss further, feel free to e-mail me.
5/15/2004 c1 19SubliminalMsgs
yes. agre strongly. but i would more argue that they should stop animal dissections. do u have any idea how slowly and painfully they aare killed!. its completely inhumane. another thing i dont like is killing animals for ur own food. u can have perfectly healthy and good-tasing meals w/o slaughtering animals!
5/4/2004 c1 22All Midnight Eyes
Okay, not saying that a lot of your information isn't right. But before writing something like this you should probably find out exactly what chemicals are being tested on the animals, and why. It is very, very possible that it is not safe to test these products on humans. Would you rather people be harmed, instead of animals?
Are you a vegetarian? Think of the poor little chickens who die for your dinner.
~allmidnighteyes
5/2/2004 c1 2LaSombra
I am glad you are speaking out against animal testing, but I unfortunately found some mistakes in your arguments. But before I go on, I want to let you know I am not just some lay witness from off the street, I have done several research papers on animal testing and how ethical it is. I know what I'm talking about. First, in the United States there are strict laws on animal testing. Animals have to be kept in nice conditions, and products have to be thought to be SAFE, they can't just be all testing willy nilly. Plus substances that have been found to be harmful are not allowed anywhere near the animals. The pictures that you see being given out by people against animal testing are taken in either illegal testing facilities or from out of the country, and the places are shut down shortly after the pictures have been taken. The companies that use products that have been tested on animals do not test the products themselves. Usually what happens is a third party tests a product that the company is using or planning to use in their product. Or another situation that the company is put in is they buy material for their product, but they don't do any research as to the history of the material, thereby using animal tested products. And finaly, often when people say that the researchers have been testing the same product over and over again, they are misinformed. The product is similar, but with a slight chemical change that was thought to have neutralized the subsance, but apparently not. However, I agree with you for the most part. No matter how careful people are, animals are going to be hurt, and no cosmetics are worth that. As for the medical research, it really comes down to is the question "Is a human more important than a non-human?" I feel in critical diseases yes, but when they start doing testing for STD's I think the line has been crossed. Please verify my research, as I have been known to get facts and details switched in my head from time to time. Thank you for taking the time to read my comment, I hope to read future essays from you in the future.
5/2/2004 c1 Mbwun
Good essay; technically, pretty sound, and you back yourself with examples and such.

I agree with you about testing cosmetics on animals. On the other hand, if they want to use animals for medical testing, I am 100% behind them. Of course, you don't really touch on that in your essay.

PETA is crazy; their lists may or may not be entirely accurate. Just a cautionary remark.

Overall, though, well done.

~He Who Walks On All Fours
5/2/2004 c1 Another Rogue
It's definitely a good essay. You've come up with some good facts to support your point. A point wichich I agree with, there's no need to test another lipstick on animals (like there aren't enough cosmetics already).

I have my doubts with that bloody picture. Such things don't happen in the Western world. Organisations against animal testing use these pictures, but those have nothing to do with reality. And I can't say about cosmetics, but for medical research animlas get anaesthetics for the pain if it doesn't interferes with the experiment.
5/2/2004 c1 9Admiral Rupert
A decent essay, though you don't drive your point home quite forcefully enough; to be honest, you sound bitter more than anything else. But oh well.
I do agree that animal testing for cosmetics or any other superfluous reason such as that is wrong. Completely wrong. But I am NOT against animal testing for medicinal purposes: I'd kill a thousand dogs if it meant curing a horrendous disease such as AIDS. You seemed to feel the same way, though I don't blame you for being "uncomfortable" with it. So am I.
Word to the wise: don't throw in your lot with PETA, please. They're a bunch of extremist nuts (and I don't use the word "nut" lightly unless I'm talking about food) who quite literally and quite openly put animal lives above human lives. Really, there's no need for that. Human lives are WAY more important than animal lives. But anyway, I'm getting off track.
The essay itself: well-written, with lots of good examples and plenty of feeling. Drive your point home a bit harder, and you'll be an excellent essayist.
I'll look at your other work sometime, too.
5/2/2004 c1 335chainedfreedom
wow, u did some reaserching!
i agree, its totaly wrong, and hopefully this shall bring some notice into people's eyes.
good on you for writing this up and posting it, hopefully it will make some people realise!
well written and i liked the facts.