for What's with all the Crystals?

1/25/2008 c1 39The Aud One
Ha ha, your rant is hilarious. It's so true though. I myself happen to be in the midst of writing a fantasy parody type deal.
9/12/2006 c1 1Final Authority
Ouch.

That's embarrassing. I've done stuff like that also.

Nice essay.
7/31/2006 c1 1Nedra Wind
I like this rant... I deleted nine-tenths of my stories because they had no plot or a really clich├ęd plot... and I WOULD upload the last tenth but for the fact that I need to wait three days.

Anyways - love the rant. Love how much sense it makes.
5/14/2006 c1 4Ness3665
Oddly, I thought of R.A. Salvatore when I read the title. Very nice, correctly, well-stated rant, pointing out very good... er.. points. Very nice! Humorous, yet serious enough! Write more stories, at least in your free time! (Publish them if possible!) Your writing is quite humorous, and at the same time it stays serious and focused on the current topic. Keep writing!
5/10/2006 c1 Credible
I second this rant. The trend of badly written and poorly developed fantasy seems to be evergrowing. I could say more but then I'd be writing an essay of my own about the subject.

Cheers.
3/16/2006 c1 10Witchmaster
I was reading the reviews on this (I must see other opinions, of course) and I saw one that made me want to cry.

No names, but it went: "Although, if a fantasy is trying to prove something, a parody of something of our existence, does it really require history & plot?"

Okay, now I will take the time to cry about this question before I comment.

-cry!- -sob!- -wail!- -lament!-

Alright.

History and plot are essential to all good stories of all genres, ESPECIALLY science fiction and fantasy. You see, still-unnamed-person, a story cannot exist without some semblance of plot - so even the worst of the worst have a plot, however pathetic it may be.

Now, about history. Even if the sole purpose of your work is to create a parody, you still must know more about your world than what is happening at the moment of your writing. This is even more true if you're trying to prove something through a fantasy work; generally proving requires more detail than anything else; and how do you prove something you know no more about than your reader? A writer should always know more about his or her story than the person reading it.

Now... dear author of this wonderful rant that provoked the quoted response and allowed for my return rant... What you say about Internet fantasies (and some published) being a bit trite is true. The level of originality in this genre is painfully lacking, as much as I adore it. I, too, find myself resorting to the conventional ideas on occasion. I applaud you for pointing this out (and for a clever title)!

Happy Writing!

-WM
9/24/2005 c1 5The Green Crow
Totally agree! But that's funny that it's actually meant to be serious. But I totally agree. I love learning about the gods and history and culture, and if the fantasy lacks in that there's les chance I'll read. There are exceptions, as there is with everything, but the thing is that if you'ree gonna say "there's another world out there" then you should at least of created the other world properly.
9/10/2005 c1 8Barbados
Good call. Bummer that you haven't been lingering around too much since march, at least not in the open. (And of course, why be here if you don't have a voice to be heard, one way or another? To read, sure, but.. I digress.) Perfect title, by the way. Sadly, this was written over a year ago, and as you could probbaly guess, little has changed. Still and all, I believe you voiced your opinion quite well.
9/8/2005 c1 9Just Jenita
I completely agree with you, although reading this and all the reviews is making me feel really bad, because most of what I write is fantasy and most of it is the stinky kind but I'm working on it so don't kill me! It's all been extremely useful, so thank you so much for writing this, it's helped a lot in ways you don't know.

~j

PS. Please don't read my stuff.
8/26/2005 c1 20Pheobe Meryll
Wow, I actually found a rant I can put on my favorites! ...This is funny, and quite good. Fantasy is so often slaughtered these days by enthusiastic but careless writers.
8/4/2005 c1 StoryJunkie
pick and choose, darlin, but sure, b'gora, there's bound 't be more flies than bees in a place like this. now lay down 'n relax, little connie, and take a deep breath.. the spell words can cast on a person, you never know where they'll take you next...
7/28/2005 c1 1Hemic
Haha, that's pretty funny (it IS meant to be? ;P) I feel the overbearing weight of a challenge... to write a story about Zorg and his double eyed newt, and prove that it can be done in all credibility, haha. Your points are valid and I am whole-heartedly agreed (though I dunno that I really get upset that some people can't write or form a plot as good as others, but that's all good ;P). Lol, I'm definately gonna' have to read some more of your stuff. If I were to write and ranting rave (and I probably never will) it would either be about ppl who give like five word reviews *shudder* or people who always - when providing a follow-up review - choose the one entry with the very least amount of lines *super shudder* Hehe, at any rate, keep it up (and if you're wondering how I know anything about reviews... seeing as this account doesn't have any yet, I promise I have another one with a lot, lol) ;P

P.S. Sorry about the killer chatty review; I'll try not to let it happen again... speaking of "again" ;P
7/19/2005 c1 9HorseChild
very well-written little essay...you're so right about the importance of having a history and culture behind the plot...of course the sad thing is that a lot of fantasy stories don't even HAVE plots...anyway, thanks for the great essay.

your essay also gave me a little wake up call. i'm writing a fantasy right now (it's not on fictionpress) and i haven't been paying much attention to history and culture. thanx!
7/5/2005 c1 9rotted reverie
Hahaha. "The tales of Oamnuan the Thief of Zesdyi can now be told! His chiselled pectorals ensure victory in battle! Our hero seeks glory and riches! Who is the mysterious Mhevluw? Is this person truly our hero's niece?"I think that's about how I wrote back when I took my first creative writing class in highschool...no wonder my teacher kept noting Word Choice in my story assignments. lol.

Oh, and your title was highly amusing.
6/26/2005 c1 1Lokon
HmThe best summary I heard of what is wrong with fantasy today (and by this I am not referring generally to fantasy on the internet... on the internet as everyone know you must work ten times as hard to cut through all the crap produced by people who aren't talented and refuse to take advice and learn, and meanwhile have years of free time) is that of the way in which magic is presented. Magic is by and large one of the most important aspects of any fantasy. Today, magic is often simply a supernatural weapon a la Dungeons and Dragons. Where as magic in series like LotR and The Legend of Earthsea was subtle and multifaceted, and had definite effects on setting characters, races, and civilizations apart... magic is now just something to hurl at an opponent. There is no fundamental difference between when a wizard in most recent fantasies hurls a fireball or an icestorm, it is always as a weapon which only drains the wizard and usually has no fundamental effect on how they see the world. A good couter example to this is the books of LE Modessit, who comes up with a magic that alters it wielders permanently... and is not simply just a weapon to be flung at opponents.
37 Page 1 .. Last Next »