for Eulogy for America

10/13/2004 c1 54Lord Jareth
I'm surprised that you haven't had more people pissing and moaning about how un-American this poem is. Let's face it, anybody who would put a flag on their car is the type to get offended by a poem like this.
It's a nice poem. I quite like it. It definitely shows what you feel, but there are too many people who feel that freedom of speech shouldn't extend to those who don't agree with them. You don't love the way America is now... therefore you must be silenced.
Now excuse me while I go and buy a Kerry/Edwards sticker.
9/25/2004 c1 1prettynutter
its good...gets ur point across well
9/23/2004 c1 Mucada
For some reason, this reminds me of "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" by U2, probably just the theme.
So true, but so sad. It's terrible that our country is falling apart like this. Beautiful poem though.
9/21/2004 c1 15XantheXanthias
then go live in fucking france
9/11/2004 c1 kdatlyno
Actually, it's more patriotic in a way to criticise. If enough people cared about the world, then it would start to improve.
Great poem, but it's not just symptomatic of America, but also of the majority of western civilisation. Accurate, and very well written.
9/10/2004 c1 this revolution
It's so true. America is a sucky place. Yay for the British! :)
9/8/2004 c1 Cheyenne
RIGHT ON, baby. This is exactly how I feel, only you're a lot more concise about it and are more 'passionately informative' and less 'bitchy'. You have a voice with your writing, with your only-yours style, and I really love it.
9/8/2004 c1 33Princess of Darkness 72
Well done(claps)This poem is sad but unfortunately its true. Too many americans bury their heads in the sand, hiding behind the flags and refusing to see the imperfections. I agree with Pathy about the concept of freedom and our founding fathers. I'll bet theyre rolling over in their graves watching George Dumbya Bush screw over the american people and make us look like retards to the rest of the world.
9/6/2004 c1 5WigginBro
Yes! Fight the Power!
9/6/2004 c1 33Kur'denras
Very good poem! It's odd that all the stanzas rhyme except the 5th and 6th though. Good anyway.
9/6/2004 c1 3Buritsutsunei
Very good. And while "W" may call it unpatriotic, it's definitely true. Very thought provoking...fiction writers for a better america!
9/5/2004 c1 3Pathy
I think it has to do with what the idea of "freedom" implies. To many people, freedom means "I can do whatever I want, when I want, and not have to think of anyone else." ... That is not the freedom that the American forefathers had in mind; that freedom was, instead, the freedom to live without being threatened, the freedom to raise a family without worrying about their safety... and the like. Not simply personal gratification, but instead communal freedom. Unfortunately, today's society preaches more towards the first type of freedom, rather than the one the constitution was based on... a shame, really, as like you concluded in the last line... it's not real freedom.
9/5/2004 c1 30J.S. Lewis
Very passionate. I love it.