for Ruatha's Grammar Review

12/31/2019 c7 7Alyce Reide
The problem arises when one has read "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and resolved to use "defect" instead of "effect" at any opportunity. Because, let's face it, Nick Bottom the weaver is funny in his seriousness.

Which is to say, or to defect: words are weird. (Bad grammar, I know- but the correct way to write someone like Bottom or Dogsberry.)
12/31/2019 c6 Alyce Reide
Some people...I think apostrophes are one of the most misused punctuation marks out there (apostrophe's, anyone?). If I got a penny every time I saw an apostrophe used to create a plural, I could probably buy a house. (Okay, I'm exaggerating. If I had a dollar for every time I saw an apostrophe used to create a plural.)

People need this essay. Even the people who know grammar.
12/31/2019 c4 Alyce Reide
I've actually seen someone use "they're's". I really have. It was so bad (but it was a really good joke!).
12/31/2019 c3 Alyce Reide
Perhaps some people make these mistakes due to thinking the greats did it, so it's okay. A.A. Milne, for instance, often says "he said" "said he" "Eeyore sighed" multiple times in the same paragraph. I can recall several times off the top of my head.

Though A.A. Milne also wrote in both first and second person simultaneously, which isn't something many people copy. His Winnie-the-Pooh books often feel like a conversation.

The thing is, the great rule-breakers didn't start out like that. They learned and mastered the rules before they broke them. (I recommend the Query Shark blog. A commenter on there taught me the "learn the rules, master the rules, break the rules" mantra. Also, it's hard to believe people actually ask agents to consider representing them when their writing looks like...)
12/31/2019 c2 Alyce Reide
Thanks for this! Personally, I always use "said" or "asked" unless there's a better word to describe what the character is doing. It can really annoy me when a character doesn't have any reason to be "booming", "querying", "wishing", "uttering", "hypothesizing", etc. instead of "saying". (I read a story where the author seemed to be allergic to "said". They had a character "booming shyly". They were also allergic to not overly describing speech, for example "sternly but politely" where just one adjective would do.)
9/29/2018 c5 deletedaccount2002
Wow! I never knew that semi colons could be used to seperate phrases in a list, that clears up so much. Thanks a bunch!
5/1/2016 c6 5Marjulie
I found this chapter to be most helpful since I don't remember running across it in any of my English classes ever. All the examples were great and understandable except for the last example of number five, "Sylvia, Ben's, his and my movie was a real bore." I think it's avoidable if it's rephrased, but if a writer insists on a sentence similar as that, can you expand on it? I feel like I'm half way understanding it.

A suggestion from someone who's still a little confused with writing and English, a section explaining 'Was vs. Were', when to end a paragraph, and run on sentences would be amazing. It's something that I've always struggled with.
3/16/2016 c3 16Bob Story Builder
Really enjoyed this so far! I love dialogue and still figuring out my style in terms of writing dialogue. Reviewing rules for dialogue is helpful because sometimes I forget. I like the idea of writing down "said" and "ask" words and think I am going to do that. You got an entertaining writing style. I read this in the voice of a sarcastic young grandmother funny enough.
1/10/2016 c5 3AikaRikaru
I am so happy I stumbled upon your page.
This was a much-needed refresher on semicolons, so thank you!
12/15/2014 c3 11FictionFox'95
Finally! Found something that gives sense to writing. It's like a grammar for dummies. Thanks!
10/17/2014 c5 10Aleatoric
Ch 5:
"English" is a proper noun and should be capitalized. (ie. [E]nglish teacher).

"In fact, she admitted to me that even SHE, the teacher, wasn't exactly comfortable with semicolons and thus tends to avoid them." I think "tends" might need to become "tended," due to parallelism.
10/17/2014 c4 Aleatoric
Ch 4:
"You're just lucky the Bad Pun Police don't read your site!" I think it should be "doesn't" instead of "don't." Unless that was a stylistic choice.

The "you're" vs. "your" is at the top of my pet peeve list, haha.
10/17/2014 c3 Aleatoric
Ch 3: "I see that tend to err on the side of caution..." Missing an "I" before "tend." (This is in the last few paragraphs).
7/3/2013 c3 2VeronaViridian
This chapter helped me a lot!
Thank you for posting this . . .
I'm sure you have mentioned this in your writing, but I feel the need to state it again . . . It's so hard to find a good grammar book that doesn't bore people. Keep on writing! :)
10/25/2012 c6 yo buddy