for Do u use txt spk?

12/8/2007 c1 332smile for the sunshine
well, i write without capitals and i add extra parenthesis but i know grammar very well. i write in e.e. cummings' style, that's all. i find it interesting and less...formal. i find it to be a better way to express simple (and deep) thoughts...

as for texting language, like "r u gonna ply w. mi?" i think that's a little bit over the top...the whole one word sentences drive me crazy. but i do use certain types of text language sometimes. but it all depends.

nice essay anyways. keep writing. = )
10/11/2006 c1 10the coffee fiend
I think text speak is fine...for text messages. ONLY text messages. The whole constraint on the number of characters one can use in a text message requires the use of abbreviated words, or else spending a lot of money.

However, in classrooms, and anything else that requires written language, I don't think it's appropriate. The English langauge is a beautiful thing, we shouldn't sully it by devolving into text speak all the time.

the coffee fiend
7/10/2006 c1 7Luna Lapella
I hate textspeak. It makes people seem stupid, no matter how smart they are.
10/6/2005 c1 90poetic abortion
honestly, I find text language a major eye soar and brain blender. I only use it as rarely as I can since I am illiterate as it is and don't need to degrade myself even more. :P the text language (to be blunt) is hardly decipherable and just a hilarious convenounce to laugh.

I do not think the text language is a reason for the detrioration in spelling or grammar. it may be in part of laziness or kids not trying hard enough but I see the point and I agree with you that it is a factor in peoples grammar/spelling mistakes (I myself am a shameless example).

the essay itself, is brilliant like always. nice and short, a crisp read and one that can be thought over logically. valid points and, over all, a wonderful read. I can never hate your stuff, lime. ;)

~* noelle
9/15/2005 c1 blackbile
*An not am (I am a perfectionist when it comes to spelling and grammar).
9/15/2005 c1 1mothling
I have never honestly got why changing 'you' to 'u' is all that much of a breakthrough-it saves a whopping two fucking characters, and if you are too lazy to add two extra characters...

Good article, sounded more like a prompt for a discussion than am article though. And you had one grammar mistake yourself which underminded your message: "Because of this many people’s grammar and spelling is getting worse..."

The phrase 'Grammar and spelling' changes 'is' to 'are', as it is implying a plural subject. :) I'm not trying to be cruel or nitpicky, but as this was about grammar and spelling becoming a sort of lost art amongst teenagers, it is especially important.
7/15/2005 c1 KiwiLove
write* -hits head-
7/2/2005 c1 KiwiLove
I don't know about this. Sure, I don't use text speak, but that's only because I happen to have a perfectionist attitude when it comes to my writing. But what if people wrie like that for convenience, when they know perfectly well how to write properly? If someone said "Hey, how are you?" to me, instead of "Hay how r u?" I'd automatically side with person number one. But, to be honest, you can't tell what a person's typing skills are really like, without looking into it. If some people just used text speak because they "wanted" to, but had immaculate grammar/spelling/punctuation, and you insulted them for it - would you be suprised to get a fully articulate response? I think you would. This is another characteristic on which people get judged, their spelling. "Hey, it doesn't matter what they say, it's the presentation!" If someone gave a profound meaning of life in "txt spk" while someone else wrote some crap in perfect English language, would you only listen to the one who said "u" "you"?

Don't think I'm a fan of text speak, I hate it. The world would be simpler without it, but it's here. So get over it, stop complaining and only correct the people talking crap out there - whether it's articulate or not. This is just another form of prejudice, whether it's from those who use text speak towards those who take the time to appreciate the English language, or vice versa, it's still prejudice. Damn, I'm obsessed with correct grammar/spelling/punctuation - and I still think you're displaying a rather narrowed point of view. Yes, the English language is slipping away and if you really cared, then don't post about it on a website, go and correct all the people in the world. Do you think they'll listen? Do you think they'll CARE?No, not really. Just realise you can't change it, and keep pissing people off by correcting them. Soon people will realise their ignorance and start writing properly. Though I doubt people will ever grasp the basic concept of "they're, there, and their". -.-

Plus, "Research shows that almost 90% of eleven to sixteen year old have mobile phones and that one in five of them use their phones purely for text messaging. This age group are texting their mates so often that ‘txt’ speak is becoming second nature to them and they are using it in school by accident." I "txted" for a number of years and not once did it impair my English. Basically, writing and pressing buttons aren't the same. You'd have to text for years and years before it became natural to actually write, with a pen, "u, l8r", etc. I'm not "pro-txt speak". But I just think you're being a touch narrow minded about this, and anyway, everyone uses it, it can't be stopped. I think the word I'm looking for here is "futile".

(By the way, where did you get this research from? All of my friends text and it is not displayed in their English work. 90%? =/).
6/22/2005 c1 6Toni Berthelette
hey! I completely agree with you! gr I hate it when people talk like that! Here in the USA, too, they had some thing on TV saying about how now some kids are using "u" "y?" etc in essays. What is this world coming to?

Great essay!

~*Toni*~
5/29/2005 c1 6Ingrid Anne
I used to use webtalk, about two and a half years ago. But I started to play this game, Furcadia, that practically required you to type right, well, where I hung out. Now, when I'm on AIM, I can't webtalk..
5/8/2005 c1 1Kaiwaf
Agonizingly short. A bit more would be nice. . .other than that, interesting. The paragraphs are each about three to five sentences shy of being detailed enough to be. . .well, real paragraphs.

A truly disturbing subject. I used to be one of those among the zombie legions of texters. . .before a well-spoken friend pulled me out. It is getting to be extremely annoying. .. we can only hope that people don't give into the shortened, bastardized form of the English language.
4/26/2005 c1 3Krismet
I'm wondering why people do that, it's not any easier, in fact, sometimes it takes more time to come up with some stupid English-language abortion than to write it out properly. Not to mention how stupidly people speak, it ruins everything! Run for the hills!
4/6/2005 c1 9Just Jenita
I totally agree with you!

I never use text speak, I always write it out, except an occasional'i' and stuff.
4/1/2005 c1 5kazfuego
Damn straight. I mean, what is up with 'tha totaly rox mah sox' and 'wtf am rotflmao' ? Seriously. I totally agree with you that txt itself has deteriorated the quality of english language. Someone asked me once: How dya spell 'embarrass'? My God, what has the world gotten into?Tsk.
3/23/2005 c1 156ShadowPharoh
i personally only use it when i have to, but other than that, i think it's pretty annoying.

SP