for Video Games Don't Suck, But Stupid People Do

2/10/2005 c1 29Livi Z
*gives standing ovation* Let me just say right off the bat: Thank you! Finally! Someone sees video games how I do. (Even if I don't play that much anymore) I absolutely loved this essay. It rocked. My socks. OUT LOUD! *dances*

Bravo!

~`*`~Breeze~`*`~
1/29/2005 c1 14Anarchy-in-america
exactly. i've played GTA, but i'm not violent, and my reflexes have gotten better since i've started playing video games.
1/21/2005 c1 26PNEK MEKS
* imeadiate reaction * HELL YEAH! * more thought out reaction * That was beautiful! It's absolutely a hundred percent true! I, being a gamer myself, completely agree with your arguements. Except for the naked part...I don't agree with that...but hey whatever floats your boat! =~.^=

PNEK MEKS
12/30/2004 c1 9rotted reverie
I used to be an uber gaming chick...but then I kind of lost interest. I was too busy wallowing in emptiness to taketoo much interest. And while I do sometimes think back, with a smile, to the times of SNES, Mario, Final Fantasy, fighting games(of which I 0wN3d), Chrono Trigger, etc. I'm living a much more fulfilling life without it because I left all of that behind to instead focus my life on God. Yet I do engage in discussions about gaming once in awhile with my outcast friends(some interesting times).
12/28/2004 c1 9dragonfire-lina144
I agree with you on this, Namir. Gaming is FUN, and educational, too. Even though I'm a girl (and for some reason girls are scorned for playing video games) and I can play better than some boys can.

'Sides, I like kickin' bad guy butt in games like Kingdom Hearts. 'Tis fun ^_^'
12/26/2004 c1 Mario's Daddy lol
Agree on the essay. Games aren't childish and more and more they get adult. (See scantily clad girls kicking ass or playing sports . . .or even the game similar to Girls Gone Wild or that upcoming Playboy one). Games can build hand-eye coordination, they can challenge your mind and they're great to unwind with when there's time. Besides, it can save relationships too when you can beat the crap outta someone on a video game and not resort to physical violence. With the new wireless tech (GB SP and the next Nintendo console) and the evolving internet play, it's also a way to make friends worldwide and meet people. Your essay is good, solid, and one can tell you love video games. I rather enjoied it. ((Best 6 games ever? Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda:OoT, Metroid Prime, Super Mario 64, GTA: San Andreas, and Pong)
12/17/2004 c1 CLOSED wtf
Well Namir, I must say I have but one semi-sorta counter argument.

Video games, however, don't automatically make you SMART, either. And while I know you never said this, allow me to explain.

There's 10 kinds of gamers in this world. Those who play and say "This game is fun" and those who play and say "Ok, but what's it all mean?". (binary joke. haha.)

It's the simple gamer, and the thinking gamer.

The simple gamers out there are just as bad as the stupid parent. They're the people who allowed GTA:SA to win a ton of awards on Spike TV's Video Game awards... you know, the 80% percent of the awards it won it wasn't supposed to.

While I may be 3 years younger than you, I'm most certainly not big on the new school stuff. If I'm home alone, and the cords are there? I'm hookin up a NES and playin the only video game ever to feature an old man in a blue and yellow jumpsuit: That's right, not 'Old Timers University of Michigan Football', but the original Megaman. I want multiplayer madness? Yeah, Halo is OK. Goldeneye is OK. SSBM is OK. For real, awesome multiplayer madness? Gimme Tales of Symphonia any day. 4 players in an RPG? Brilliant!

And by the way. Your statements of increased reaction time? Add in, as well, improved READING SKILLS. A lot of video gamers (real ones, anyway) can read MUCH better than non-gamers. The University of Bristol did a study on that.

Sure, I've been playing games for 14 years of my life. Sure, people claim I have no life. But the fact that I play games as much as I do, and due to video games am so excellent at paradigm thinking, has gotten me far in the workplace... and in bullshit.

All in all? You're right. Couldn't agree more. Just remember:

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.
12/3/2004 c1 6MrFlames
It took TWENTY FIVE stories before I found one I could stop on. This one: http:/w.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1763350 did not suck enough for me to flame it. WHAT HAVE YOU MADE ME DONE, NAMIR? :P

By the way, this essay kicks ass.
11/26/2004 c1 15Yellow Memory
You're so right ... people want something besides themselves to blame for all of society's problems, and it makes me sick.By the way, to all reviewers who are getting offended about the "stupid people" comments - hello? Those were meant to inject humor into the essay. (At least as far as I could tell ... ) The "all stupid people should be shot and everyone should own at least one gaming console" remark made me laugh outright.I think this is a very good essay, a lot better than some of the crap that gets posted under this category. You may have broken some of the traditional "rules" of essay writing, but I say more power to you.Now, if I could just convince my parents to finally buy a game system ... this has been the tragic story of my life since I was like 3 ...
11/18/2004 c1 Guest
This is not related to your essay; I suggest that you remove this review once you have read it.

Your profile hates me. I know; you don't care, but I had to say it anyway. So much text! It's nice that you've written so many stories, but you may want to consider shortening that profile a bit. People are lazy and will sometimes not take the time to scroll down to find your stories when it is much easier to simply click 'back' or close the window.
10/30/2004 c1 howdoesonedeleteonesprofile
I have replies here to both other reviewers and the essay itself.
To K.G. Hollingsworth: "You're arguements are completely one-sided..." ...Wow. While any point that Namir Swiftpaw may have made "has been entirely lost due to the manner in which the idea was conveyed", YOUR point is completely lost due to your atrocious spelling.
To Jawaclone: "Video games desenseitize you. That is the problem." Again, the spelling ticks me off, but for once it isn't my point. My point is this; VIDEO GAMES desensitize us? Have you watched the news lately? Most (all, actually) of the video games I play have minimal violence, while having my parents watch the news in the morning while I'm trying to eat breakfast is almost unbearable. In order to keep my sanity, I have to ignore all "graphic scenes of death, sex, and criminal brutality" going on in the world in order to keep my sanity. Video games are probably less than one percent of the problem. I have been desensitized almost entirely. I can't afford to care about anything that happens to anybody. Not starving children in Africa, not drug addicts in my home town. LIFE desensitizes us, so stop using video games as a damned scapegoat!
In regards to the article itself: IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEBODY SPOKE UP IN COMPLETE SENTENCES! Way to go, Namir Swiftpaw!
10/21/2004 c1 Smartbomber
"I agree with you on this. I've been playing video games since I was
seven or so, and yet I've suffered no ill effects"

I'd beg to differ.
10/20/2004 c1 giygas666
I agree with you on this. I've been playing video games since I was
seven or so, and yet I've suffered no ill effects. As a matter of fact
(and I don't mean to brag here, I just want to illustrate my point), I
have a 3.6 GPA, I've studied three foreign languages, and I've written a
novel. I believe it's video games that've nurtured my creativity and my
mental faculties.
There is no such thing as an "addiction" to video games, as I've seen it
described, any more than there exists an "addiction" to fast food or
sex. Anyone who blames a mere game (or guns or drugs or peer pressure
for that matter) for committing a crime (like school shootings) is just
plain irresponsable. Kind of reminds me of those idiots who blame
McDonalds for making them fat. What it all comes down to in the end is
personal responsibility (or lack there of).
The only thing I take issue with is your last paragraph: "In
conclusion, all stupid people should be shot and everyone should own at
least one gaming console." You don't need to put it that way; it makes
your essay seem juveniele when in fact you're an excellent writer.
~Zell
10/20/2004 c1 K.G. Hollingsworth
Namir, while the idea behind the essay might have been a good one (Although, really rather pointless.) It was entirely lost due to the manner in which the idea was conveyed. Instead of defending your point, you're just giving the people who disagree with you more ammunition to prove their point that video games make you "stupid".
You're arguements are completely one-sided, and because of that, will never convince anyone of anything, or even make them pause to think about another point of view. They will disregard them offhand and move on. I would expect more from you. This was very disappointing.
10/16/2004 c1 Jawaclone
First let me state that, this essay is horrible. If i were to turn this in as a school paper, i'd get an F. If you care about the structure of your essay, i can send you a review of it through e-mail. Just contact me at .
Now, onto your subject matter. I have to state that I disagree with many of your points.
First of all, the real issue isn't whether or not video games will cause acts of violence. It is already known that if I play GTA I probably won't do drugs, pick up hookers, or become a serial killer; Video games desenseitize you. That is the problem. Our society is losing our "innocence".

Graphic scenes of death, sex, and criminal brutality are common parts of our entertainment; We think that seeing people suffer is fun. Also you are less likely to be alarmed, when you see an actual act of violence taken place.
Recently, a man was arguing on an overpass with his girlfriend, and the confrontation was getting very physical. All the while cars are passing by, and not one person stops to see what the matter was. Well the man pushed the woman over the overpass and he then made teh jump himself. All of that could have been avoided, if somone had stopped to inquire about the problem. But, since people are used to seeing acts of violence frequently, no one thought the confrontation abnormal or serious enough to stop.
As to other ways video games negatively affect people. They are very addicting. A popular game Everquest was given the name Evercrack, because of the large number of players addicted to it.
Games make people feel good, you feel like you accomplished something. This feeling is very strong at the beginning of the gameplay. Even after the game has gotten repetitive and boring , people still play it. This is because subconsciously they want to get that feeling of accomplishment again, which was given to them by the game in the beginning.
I can say that video game addiction has screwed up my life. My grades are mediocre, my social life is the same; All for the sake of getting those three hours a day in.
I love video games, and i hate them. There is no hobby more demanding than video-gaming.
50 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »