for 1984

6/25/2006 c1 1A. C. Oasis
This is a well written essay, but I fear that you have fallen into the trap of ignoring the book as a whole and looking at it as a prediction. It is not a prediction, more a warning, and you avoid looking at how beautiful and intelligent the language is. You do not mention Julia or Katherine at all, which is a terrible move as sex and the control of sex by the party is one of the main themes of the book. You do not deal with the fact that the party is trying to create a world that is opposite from Utopia, and that such a world can function. That is the most horrifying aspect of the book, that and the idea that love can be turned against you.
8/28/2005 c1 20Pheobe Meryll
Hm...I think overall you portrayed a pretty good understanding of the book, but there are some flaws I feel I must point out.

Were you supposed to be doing MLA documentation? If so, be careful of putting the period before the page number at the end of a line - it should read like this: "every movement scrutinized”(3). Your "works cited" was spelled incorrectly, but other than that, your spelling was excellent. (I hate to gripe about spelling; it's a writer's worst enemy.)

Anyway, enough about the grammar: onto the book. It seems you really absorbed the horrific quality of the book, which is very good and shows in your writing. However, I think when speaking of what we learn from it you were not completely sure. "progress is good, but that we have to be careful" was one of your conclusions; I think it is evident from "1984" that it was not just progress that brought them where they were. Government was the issue - government interfering in people's personal lives. That is how the telescreen came about...I am sure when it was origianally put there, the party members were told it was for their own safety. And this all goes back to the whole brainwashing bussiness Winston encounters in room 101.

Of course, this is just my input on the idea you were exploring. Overall, you have a good feel for the book, and I applaud your reading up on other peoples' opinions, too...that always expands our outlooks. Keep writing!
3/4/2005 c1 1You Make My Date
hey! I thought I reviewd something of yours before, but maybe not. So here I am! Not sure if I picked the right one though, because I've never reviewed an essay before...Still, great work- and I liked your optimism throughout the piece. Your quote selection was great, and the insight provided into the book was excellent too! I'll go check out your other stuff now :) ~ Carmen
2/23/2005 c1 16d'Neronique
The interesting thing about Orwell, I think, is that he was deeply in favor of socialism.

Anyway, this has got to be the most optimistic of all '1984' reflection essays I've ever read. Conversely, it's also one of the most brief. While I may not necessarily agree with you on what we're supposed to take away from it - hey, to each his/her/its own, right?

As for telescreens - I'm more worred about RFID tags. Apparently, schools in CA are requiring students to have on them at all times tags that can successfully monitor their position at all times. I know, I know - it's not exactly your telescreen, but its one step up from security cameras/systems. And don't even get my started on the Patriot Act.

"If you keep the small rules, you can break the big ones." - Julia[Not necessarily my favorite quote, but you have to admit - so true!]
2/23/2005 c1 220Namir Swiftpaw
^_^

I was born in 1984, so I read this very early on (probably too early for me to understand it...I think I was 7 or 8 the first time I read it). It's still one of my favorite books.

Keep writing!

~Namir Swiftpaw
2/23/2005 c1 Elixir Phoenix
I read this book before and enjoyed it. It seems that, in this easy, you're moaning about the world of 1984 and not trying to point out anything else. I prefer A BRAVE NEW WORLD by Alfred Huxley because of the decanted babies! Uh...hehe...inside joke.