for Garam Masala

3/23/2018 c1 2nerdi
I clicked this because of the title and oh my god did I love it.

First off, can I just say that I loved this so, so much? You made me feel beautiful when everyone tries to make me believe I am not. Just because my skin is darker. I might not take it to heart, but this poem showed me that at least some part of me feels lesser than others and assured me that it isn't so. Thank you for that.

The poem itself is something I adored. Your word choices make me smile. And the conjoined words didn't bother me - I think it made the poem beautiful. (and also more 'Indian' if I may say so, because Indians always have a penchant for joining smaller words to make bigger ones in their languages). My favourite phrase was 'poignant breeze'. It flowed smoothly, but was still impactful, especially with the odd breaks.

I live for such beautiful things. Thank you
12/10/2010 c1 18Loss of Words
This is the first time I have ever read a poem with this specific topic; so that's a plus already. :) AND I happen to like the specific direction this is going; few people laud the woman who goes without makeup and things artificial.

I like the stanzas,

hidden kisses

boys longed for, she received (note the proper spelling :P)

sweet and exotic.

before twelve

already was this poignant breeze

but we, artificial

They're vivid and descriptive. I like how you connected the last two stanzas, because it (strangely) has a very nice flow.

One thing: the third stanza was very disjointed; I did not like. It didn't flow well with the surrounding stanzas. I did, however, like the word "earthyspice." That DOES fit with the poem, just... differently, in my opinion. :P
3/12/2010 c1 167nickyO
I'm guessing that the "shamefullyless" is there on purpose and it is quite clever.
2/19/2010 c1 fleur de l'est
Wow, I wonder if this is based on a real person, she seems so alive.. and the title sure adds to the exoticness =)

I loved the contrast between artificial and intrinsic beauty, and she seems to possess such a charm just by being confident.
2/13/2010 c1 16SarahMerriman
I like the message of this poem as well as the way it is set up. Very creative. I only have one question. Was shamefullyless a typo or do I just not know this rule of grammar? Anyway, good job. Keep writing.
2/11/2010 c1 17Humb1eBeginnings
Is this poem describing natural beauty? Correct me if I'm wrong. I see a lot of girls that tries to match appearances that they are not born with. I believe a woman always look better natural.
5/1/2005 c1 94smile persephone
Wow, this poem is just so... perfect. It really gives me something to think on. Your style of writing is something that I envy. Amazingly done!
4/22/2005 c1 addie pray
I loved this. The style of writing is superb. I hope I have room on my favourites. Well done, keep on.
4/3/2005 c1 do not resuscitate
this is gorgeous. your word choice is stunning.
3/31/2005 c1 68this is britt
the formatting adds so much to this. you're a great, great writer. and how true is it, this poem.
3/29/2005 c1 6Nobody-n-Particular
Beautiful
3/23/2005 c1 31broken shard of twilight
I love this. The words you have chosen are absolutely perfect. I love how much the enjambment plays a role, letting each line simply hang. The end of each stanza-like thing is simply an open statement. So perfect. I love some of the words in this. "earthyspice", "cosmeticless" and "shamefullyless". I applaud!
3/21/2005 c1 9Kalopsia
nice words. ur style is changing a bit. i am very depressed. check out my site...now.
3/21/2005 c1 47like a lover
oh my god, i love this so much, i can't even explain it.

i love natural beauty, but sometimes i feel like the odd ugly girl, having a middle-eastern/european background while all my friends are either blond or very fair-skinned... you really showed beauty here, a different kind of beauty, and i loved every word. i really am kinda tired of westernized beauty, and this was like fresh air.

really, every word was beauty itself. fav for sure. :)
3/20/2005 c1 87youzi
I like some of your expressions such as "poignant breeze", but i'm lost at some points, perhaps because you appear to have taken the poetic license too far: "shamefullyless"? and "herneck"?=P