for Fiction Ratings

3/30/2005 c1 7Destiniy
I don't believe you can submit an MA rated story to FictionPress. They just have the explination there for...I don't know. Just because I guess.

Personally, the change doesn't bother me too much. I had a bit of a heads-up from Fanfiction.net, though, so it wasn't a shock here. I was comfortable with the old rating system, being American and all, but this new one seems simple enough. I don't run the site, so who am I to complain about little changes like this? I would like to know why the system was changed, though. I didn't see anything wrong with the other one. It is the one everyone here has been using and, I'd think, was comfortable with. It doesn't make sense to me why that would be changed, but maybe I'm just missing something. Anyway, I don't mind the new rating system too much; I just don't get what the reason for changing it was. *shrugs*
3/29/2005 c1 2Bloodflower
Truth be told, I don't particularly MIND it, and I haven't uploaded any new stories...ratings generally don't bother me, but I at least like being familiar.
3/28/2005 c1 1Catchow
meh, what i always so is go with the flow, and if you don't like whine about it, which is what your doing i guess.

I'm impartial to all this to tell the truth but i was surprised at seeing the new rating system.

I'll cheer for you for your.. umm.. crusade for the old rating system?
3/28/2005 c1 8gangster-dolly
I'm just so freaking confused by it all. WHY did it change? What was the matter with the other way?

-gangster-dolly
3/28/2005 c1 4SrenRok
First of all, I'd like to say that I am American, so the old way seemed normal and well, better. Now it appears that like most Americans I am hesitant to accept change..

I just really, really liked the old way more. But things have changed, so I'll live.. maybe. Time to renew my Ratings for my stories though...

~-SR-~
3/28/2005 c1 Crazy-Word-Painter
Just wanted to add something (have slightly calmed down from the horror, lol) that I forgot earlier. The American way is also the Canadian way so that's what I'm used to and I guess that's why I'm kind of freaked out. At least they changed the ratings on my old work- if they hadn't, I would have been steaming.
3/28/2005 c1 90poetic abortion
I guess I'm nutral. I like the new rating but the old ones I as more familar with. (I live in the U.S.A as you know. :P) I'm slightly confused with it but it seems rather simple. Although I did have previse knowledge to this before hand. (Fanfiction.net) ^-^ Well written as always, Lime.

!~* Noelle *~!
3/28/2005 c1 1Kaiwaf
Iunno, seems kinda abrupt and weird. In all honesty, it doesn't really matter to me what rating system is used. I suppose there is some legal matter with needing ratings, or merely fictionpress wants the site to be user friendly, but I have never paid attention to ratings. Books are never rated. As a 6th grader I was reading stuff that had been targeted towards older audiences. Hasn't harmed me any.

But then again, I can see why fictionpress wouldn't want angry parents sending angry emails. So . . .*shrugs*

Kat
3/28/2005 c1 REGRETABLE
I agree, they didn't give anyone any ratings, and the whole K, T, M thing is kinda confusing! It's on games, but I don't pay attention to the ratings!
3/28/2005 c1 61Stories-have-souls
I agree with you on the MA one. Plus, I just got back from holiday and discovered the new rating system...it takes time for me to adjust to change!
3/28/2005 c1 28Diana Shore
Let me get the technicalities out of the way. In the News section at the beginning after "Fiction Ratings system from" the words Fictionratings . com are missing (maybe the site dropped it because it's a web address?). And the plus sign is missing after the K for the second lowest ratings category; 9 and up.

I think what Fictionpress.com is trying to do is make the ratings universal to Fictionpress since the authors on this site are from different countries.

Of course all the rating classifications are subjective to what the author feels is mild violence or wanton violence. For example: When I was at the Post Office a while back looking over some documents in my vehicle in the parking lot, this truck parked next to me was playing song (very loudly) by Eminem which had extremely explicity violence, language and sexual words in it. I didn't really have a problem with it since that's the music they like, but then I noticed as I was pulling out of the parking lot a young child in a car seat in the back seat. I would never ever listen to music like that with my kids in the back seat, but these young parents obviously didn't have a problem with it.

So, the question is, who is going to parent, or monitor, that works published are rated properly? Does Fictionpress.com do that on a regular basis? Probably not, based on the amount of work published. Are the authors here going to report the offenders or only report people that piss them off?

The bottom line is, though, what's there really to complain about? On this site you get to post the work you've written for free (unless you want to pay for the minimal perks of having a Premium Membership) and you can get, for the most part, some good, honest feedback from others who've caught the writing bug. And in process, make a friend or two.

Take care, D.
3/28/2005 c1 15Radyn
I fail to see the fuss. I never really paid attention to ratings in the past, and I doubt that many people do as well.
3/28/2005 c1 9Celeste Se'oir
You liked the American way of doing things? Personally I think it was stupid. Films which would fall somewhere inbetween would become PG 13 films, which isn't right. And those which were a little worse off would make the R. So not right, I've been complaining for years to my friends and family, I think Fictionpress has their head on staight. At least this way we can adopt a more accurate rating system that is true to the content of the story.

But that's just my oppinion.

Later,~Ffuffy~
3/28/2005 c1 40The Sleepy Poet
I do. You might not understand the differences and click into something that you normally wouldn't. I have never seen this before, except on Quizilla and that is NOT writing. And does this mean that we have to redo our own ratings? What if we are forced to put something on a higher level because it is against the 'Fiction Ratings' and people don't read the higher-rated stuff?

They really should have kept with the old ratings. It's too complicated to learn ANOTHER set...Here's how many I have learned over the years:

Video GamesAmerican MoviesBritish MoviesQuizilla's VersionAnd now this one...

I've also noticed there is no rating for anyone under 6, so we can't post ickle little books that anyone can read, like a benign re-write of a fairy tale...

Don't you just hate that?
3/28/2005 c1 georgiexhk
am too lazy to s/n.But you know who I am!Woo...I agree. I have not a clue what this all means. It's either because,a) I'm stupidb) I have a smaller vocabularyc) I am stupid.

But I agree...woot.