for We Will Always Remember

10/21/2010 c1 2erasmuss
This was wonderful. I love war poems from more than one perspective. There are too many war poems saturated with patriotism that keep burning very old fashioned ideas of war.

It's not mine, but heres a 'counter' poem I simply adore. Written by Charles Sorley during the first world war.

When you see millions of the mouthless dead

Across your dreams in pale battalions go,

Say not soft things as other men have said,

That you'll remember. For you need not so.

Give them not praise. For, deaf, how should they know

Is it not curses heaped on each gashed head?

Nor tears. Their blind eyes see not your tears flow.

Nor honour. It is easy to be dead.

Say only this, "They are dead." Then add thereto,

"Yet many a better one has died before."

Then, scanning all the o'ercrowded mass, should you

Perceive one face that you loved heretofore,

It is a spook. None wears the face you knew.

Great death has made all his for evermore.
3/19/2007 c1 40sweetxinsincerity
Wow. Tragic but beautiful, I love it.
12/31/2005 c1 Sophie Ulquiorra Allen
Beautiful and haunting stuff. I liked it very much. Well done and keep writing!
10/15/2005 c1 20Rosie Cotton of the Shire
Wow. As an American, it just made a shiver come to my spine and a tear come to my eye. A good tribute. I'm a pacifist, even when it's for a good cause, but we WILL always remember them.

-Smiles,Rosie
7/10/2005 c1 80The Magician Joseph
Cool I like the meaning, intresting thing is the Hitler is one of the worlds most mentioned people's. Good stuff about remeberence.
6/5/2005 c1 Sea Cadet Girl
This seems like a well thought out poem from the heart. Great job!
5/29/2005 c1 His Only
Oh my gosh! If I could ever become speachless, this would make me speachless... but, I don't become speachless cuz I have to talk always or I would just die. Anyways, THIS WAS EXCELLENT, needless to say. I mean oh my gosh, this was so good! I felt to cry when reading it, I mean you descirbed their feelings, and pain, and the saddness of it all so well. And I absolutly LOVE LOVE LOVEE how you repeated the beginning at the end. It so made the poem! You should get this published or something. I mean it is just so good!
5/26/2005 c1 9Known as me
ooh, nice poem. actually, very good. the rhythm of it caught me. A+, good for you.
5/24/2005 c1 612simpleplan13
i liek how its sad twoards both sides..very true & great message.. tahnks for your review
5/23/2005 c1 36Kittle
What a beautiful poem with a wonderful message...
5/20/2005 c1 242LauraKM
Good, i love the line "blinded by propoganda and hate" very powerful, emotive languge.
5/17/2005 c1 4SloanePeterson
this is so good. love it! i almost cried. I could feel the feelings that you felt. you captured it so well. you are so deep. i am glad to finally find someone who feels the same way i do about WW2.