for Freedom

6/5/2005 c1 Azraelthepagan
Hmm... When you say "they were wise" you're talking about the founders right? Th ones who kept slaves? Oh, yeah freedom was top priority amongst them.
6/4/2005 c1 1InsomniacDahmer
Paying lipservice to freedom while simultaneously touting the value of overinflated, state-regulated morality...? Hypocrisy is so painfully un-American.

Politics aside... This is just substandard poetry. Meh. Even your other stuff was better.
6/2/2005 c1 Olivia
Right, Duke. I forgot the Patroit Act.
6/1/2005 c1 21TheDuke'sLover
But what about the freedom of speech that the Bush administration is taking away from us? and the "Patriot Act" that takes away the rights given to us in the BIll of Rights set down by the forefathers (namely the right to a fair trial and the right to a search warrent)

Another thing, the word "liberal" is defined in Merriam-Webster dictionary as meaning "giving freely and unstintingly." As a matter of fact, the word liberal is dirived from the greek word "free" and the latin word for "generous". Not only is that how the word is defined, these definitions go along with the ideals and morals of liberals and democrats. You shouldn't judge before you know the facts. Obviously you are mistaken if you think that the "scary liberals" are taking away your freedom. You are taking away your own freedom everytime you close your eyes to the horrible things this administration does to the people of our country.
5/31/2005 c1 18Lirael1
I agree that we too often sit back and allow the government to decide things for us, but this freedom that we ought to embrace requires knowledge. It also goes both ways. Abortion could logically be argued either way, as could gay marriage, as well as many other issues that split the country up.This makes me think of the "Who's to say?" poem you posted recently, which I actually read first.Absolute Freedom goes back into the time of natural law - where man was allowed to take what he could get and keep what he owned if he could protect it. What the government (ideally) tries to do is create a national standard to which other things can be held. A reference point, if you will. This is the role of the supreme court in many cases.In the present day, however, all branches are assuming more control than they have for years. Anything from the Schiavo case to proposing an amendment about gay marriage brings up the question of whose freedoms are protected and whose aren't? Should all gays move to one state because that is the only place where they are allowed the rights of marriage? Should the government have even more hands-off and have no particular stance on it and not grant benefits due to marriage period?The only possibility of people getting up and fighting for whatever freedoms they believe in is if they are better informed...which nearly no one cares enough to do, despite required government classes in many school districts.And now I wander, mostly because politics is a terribly amusing subject for me. :)And one would hope you have more faith in humanity than begging for flames to laugh at. That's what you go to boards for. ;) Debates are much more fun.~Delined-to-state-on-voting-records librul :P
5/31/2005 c1 Olivia
My sentiments exactly! I'm tired of the neocons trying to take away the freedom of a woman to have control ofer her body, the freedom for gays to marry, the freedom to research on stem cells, even the freedom to filibuster supreme court appointments! Thank you for giving me hope that the TRUE conservative way will be restored.
5/31/2005 c1 6Toni Berthelette
Very good! I love it! And I agree with you 100%

~*Toni*~
5/31/2005 c1 156ShadowPharoh
i love the topic. fantastic! ^_^

SP
5/31/2005 c1 1k+Faithless Juliet
Intresting work, I'm really unclear on your direct feelings though, and why your telling us to fight. Are you telling us to rise up against the leaders we alreayd have, or forsake ourselves and follow where they lead.