for Who's to Say?

4/6/2006 c1 LuthienBlack
I really liked your piece, and I completely agree with what you say. It was rather refreshing to say the least.
6/6/2005 c1 6A Critic At Work
Well I read the reviews for this poem before I decided to give my review and I must say I'm a little surprised. Of course not because of differing political views...no never. Personally I read the poem and the sarcasm was quite obvious to me. It wasn't hiding under a rock as some of these reviews seem to suggest. But that's later. Critique of the structure and such of the poem always comes first.

I mostly liked the way in which you delivered the words of the poem though in spots the flow became slightly confusing. I must absolutely disagree on one point one reviewer made. They said they did not like the little annoying "who's to say" line. That line is what tied this poem together. You made your point and then through just several words brought it back around to your subject. For some reason I always like repitition in poetry, but besides simply pleasing me, it keeps the reader on track.

Now that's all for that. Here I am nearly in total opposition to many of the reviewers. One common idea seemed to be that they thought your poem's sarcasm/satire was much too weak. It needed to be stronger or not there at all. Saying that is trying to make your poem more like other poems. Surprisingly most poets don't write poetry so it sounds like other poems. It is your own work written just as you want it written. You certaintly could have eliminated sarcasm completely or given it a larger part, but as it is now, sarcasm plays a minor role adding just enough sarcasm to get the point across. Just because a poem is sarcastic does not mean every word, every line is and must be overflowing with sarcasm. My point with all that was to say this: the sarcasm level (so to speak) is just fine and I wouldn't recommend any more or any less.

And I still haven't even touched on the message of the poem. Oh my, this is getting long! I liked the message. I definitely disagreed in some portions of the poem while I agreed in others. That is besides the point, though. Your poem is actually becoming rarer on this site. More and more political poems cannot be written without calling the supporters of a different view outright idiots. Your poem certaintly didn't say those other supporters are geniuses, but it was more about saying what you had to say and not about saying what others have to say is worthless. That is what earned my respect for this poem.
6/5/2005 c1 156ShadowPharoh
i kinda liked it.

SP
6/5/2005 c1 6Nobody-n-Particular
It is an extreme version of the present-becoming-future, but states some truths.
6/4/2005 c1 1InsomniacDahmer
I'm so confused. It says it's supposed to be satire but I completely don't find anything funny about it from any point of view. N...

"Silly little Christian!

You can’t have morality!

Just because our country was based upon it"

Was that supposed to be the satirical part? It's just ... not... working...
6/4/2005 c1 Proud
wow, how I pity you...so so ignorant and uninformed...I wonder whether your parents are proud of you? Did they purposely raise you this way? No really, I'd like to know.

I have seen you criticising other religions. Let me tell you, regardless of whatever my religion happens to be, you have no right to come here and voice your horrible opinions about Alah and Islam and other faiths and cultures.

I have seen you criticising various sexual orientations. Well nobody cares what you think! The Helsinki Agreement of 1975 signed by your Great Country agreed to allow freedom of sexual orientation.

I have seen you criticising democracy! Rights! Freedoms! Choices! Well, it's a good thing you're not in Government! And obviously never will be - you narrow-minded biggot

And I've seem you promoting hate crimes. You bastard.
6/2/2005 c1 Truthfully
All politics aside, this wasn’t very good. The best word I can think of to describe this is bland. It wasn’t sarcastic and it wasn’t witty. It was weak. And before you think I just didn’t catch on, I did. I saw what you were going for and you just didn’t get there. Now, I bet you’re wondering why this didn’t work they way you intended it. First, your annoying, repetitive “who’s to say?” defeated the point of satire. Second, you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m not saying your opinion is wrong, I’m saying you make absolutely no sense. You contradict yourself. That’s not good writing. Quite plainly, you suck.

Now, with the politics back in the picture. Why is it your place to decide who people should love our how they dress? If you don’t like it, that’s fine. You can believe and think and say whatever you want. But so can they. It’s a two way road, dipshit. They have the right to do what they want, and so do you. You don’t have the right to stop them. They don’t have the right to stop you. Let people live how they want. Only then will you get the same treatment. It’s not the world’s fault you’re stupid enough to sit around and wonder, “who’s to say?”

You had the ending all wrong. “who’s to say?” You are. And so can everyone else. Quite whining and go make a difference if you care so much. Don’t put this crap up and complain when you’re not helping matters.
6/1/2005 c1 21Philosophe Rouge
Interesting, I feel though, for a satire it's a bit too straghforward. It's more of a parody, even that though is not the right word. Still, I honestly don't agree with some of it, and it's a bit old insulting old Dubya's intelligence.
6/1/2005 c1 54rainkisser
this was a bit... scattered. I understand your point (and I don't agree with it), but the way you used your "satire and sarcasm" was well... bad. It's not exaggerated enough, or at least there doesn't seem to be enough emotion in it. It sounds like if someone crapped on your head you'd probably say "Gosh... what a lovely day... yes... well... whose to say?" It was a bland poem and so I don't feel terribly inraged at your opinion (and I don't think many people who DO agree with you will feel terribly inspired) I suggest either screwing the satire and sarcasm and just saying whats on your mind instead of making it sound like another boring chicken-across-the-road joke or going ALL OUT in the chicken joke to at least make it entertaining.Hope you don't feel bad. I saw your other review. The person who wrote that review is one of my greatest friends and I actually really agree with her. She is very cultured and informed, so you might want to listen to what she has to say, but that is up to you.
5/31/2005 c1 21TheDuke'sLover
Yes, the rich may pay 55.5% of the taxes but they make much more than 55.5% of the national income. Are you promating hate crimes against gays? Anyway, is it wrong to be yourself? Is is the government's(or your) business who someone chooses to love? You call us brainwashed but what do you watch, FOX and MTV?

I'm sorry about that. I feel very strongly about politics and it makes me very upset to see that Bush's propaganda is working. I'll stick to the quality of the work and not point any more inaccuracy in figures.

Even if this portrayed my point of view I would not call this a wonderful poem. I liked the flow with "Who's to say?". I found it blunt as it just stated your point of view without much comedy or cleverness. I know that political poetry is hard to write because we all feel so strongly but this poem needs some work. You have a good framework, now run with it.

and please keep an open mind...