for A Question of Honor

6/9/2005 c1 8TopatoPotato
Well, I think that there are definitely some good points to be made with the arguments you talk about, but I'm not sure you're making them... for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, as to the wide number of Americans waiting to adopt babies... where did you get the statistics for this? Because given that there are still many orphanages and homeless children, I'm not sure that this is the case.

Secondly, as to honor, it is indeed true that it is an honorable thing to fight for justice and peace in the world. But have we done so? Is it honorable to lie to the American people to go into war? Is it honorable to ignore international law and contain prisoners indefinitely, without a lawyer or trial date, in Guantanamo Bay?

I believe that we, as a nation, are both bullies and liberators, and that the two are not mutually exclusive. However, in the way we entered Iraq, we may have done more harm than good, in our clumsy and unilateral attempts at doing so. A botched liberation simply gives terrorists and extremists more fuel and rationale for recruiting new terrorists. Perhaps this is why despite our efforts against terrorism, that the United States predicts Al-Qaeda membership has increased since the war on terrorism.

Just some food for thought... hope you'll consider this!
6/5/2005 c1 Olivia
I definately agree that people divorce too quickly, but I think part of that is also that people marry to quickly because "ah, we can always get divorced" Divorce, as with abortion, is a "way out" that people take advantage of too much just for convience's sake instead of in desparate situations.

As for your comment about women in the past being shunned for having sex out of wedlock, I think they still are shunned today. Definately not as much, but I see the feeling still there. Also, I've always wondered why can't a woman be a feminist WITHOUT sleeping with tons of people?
6/5/2005 c1 21TheDuke'sLover
You say it is a matter of honor to fight in a war. Is it honorable to kill people? Maybe one should look past their own ego and "honor" to save lives.

"Women today have lost a great deal of our honor, as a whole... in upper classes of society if a woman was to be found to have sex outside of wedlock that she would be shunned?" What do you mean, have lost a great deal of honor? Just because women now have the freedom to do as they like, and not be controlled by men, you say they have lost honor? Men have been sleeping around for centuries but, no!, women aren't allowed the same priviledges. If they do, the're whores. To state things like that, you are proving yourself an ignorant sexist.

I agree that America should be proud that women can now vote in a few countries in the Middle East. But at what cost? The lives of thousands, American and other.I don't agree with your definition of honor. Honor is taking care of your sick grandmother, giving to the poor, and feeling for those less fortunate. It has nothing to do with who you've slept with, how many people you've blown up, or how patriotic you are. Honor is about using your strenth for the good of all(not just all Americans).

I admire your fortitude against all these flames. Though you may not have your facts straight, and you have a one-sided view of the world, you are trying. Just keep reading your flames and you may learn something.
6/5/2005 c1 deleted01
Ok, you sir are an absolute moron. What the f*ck are you saying when you say we are pushed around by other countries, that we bow our knees to them? Hell NO, America does not do that. What do you think LBJ did when we went to Vietnam? He didn't want to let a third world nation push the United States around. President Kennedy, look at what he did with the Russians. He stared them down during the missile crisis. We did NOT back down. After 9/11 the United States of America and President Bush showed a lot of self restraint by not nuking Afghanistan. To tell the truth, if the United States had, the world wouldn't have blinked. They saw how we were attacked, and they could see why we would. In other words, we do not bow down, we actually just know the meaning of self restraint you atavistic cretin.

You disgust me and have insulted all the people who are and have served the United States in times of peace and war.
6/5/2005 c1 1Kaiwaf
No, no NO! Do NOT stick things about flaming or reviews within the actual essay. It looks highly immature. The essay goes downhill from there. Try not to lean so hard on definitions. Jargon, personal interpretation and such can really determine definition of said word.