for Child Abuse

6/12/2008 c1 Rashika
I know it's really late, but I have a question. What exactly are you supposed to do if you suspect child abuse? Call the police (even if there's no immediate risk)? Call Child Services and throw the children into the abysmal foster-care system, where they may be treated even worse? To make matters even more complicated, sometimes it's hard to differentiate between discipline and abuse-for example, I once heard a child being spanked on the bottom-perfectly acceptable to some, though the child's screams sent a chill through my very bones. It's very sad that due to the state of our Child Services Dept. (in the US), by trying to help children in need, we may be putting them in a worse situation.

By the way, excellent piece of writing.
4/29/2007 c1 1j.t.collins
Bravo.
8/12/2005 c1 6Sardonic Whispers
Right now, at this moment, we can do nothing but watch the suffering of others, sometimes little children must bear a heavy burden just for being children. We can't be there at the critical moment, the learning moment, the saving moment. And when we are at the saving moment, we don't recognise it until much later. Why is this? Is this why people believe in guardian angels? Then why don't the angels help? Why do they stand and watch this? tears in eyes WHY?
7/13/2005 c1 11Lunerith
Like the other reviewers, I found this very powerful.Crimes against children are, IMO, the worst crimes a person can commit.I also think the problem is not only with the laws and such, but also a problem with the educational system. Children shouldn't be sheltered from things that can happen to them as children.I remember that in 2nd grade someone came into our class and talked to us about comfort levels and where people shouldn't be touching us, and that was the last of it I got.I do believe that most people who do commit crimes against children are also known to the child and/or are a friend of the family. Maybe even a family member. So, don't talk to strangers works, but for the minority.

Anyway you get the idea. You're piece was very moving.Have a Good Life
7/13/2005 c1 24katmonkey
This is really powerful and hard-hitting. I don't know what Megan's Law is all about but I presume it's similar to Sarah's Law that we have in Britain which was a result of the rape and murder of Sarah Payne who was like 9 years old. People who abuse helpless kids shouldn't be alowed to exist.
7/13/2005 c1 31Saeo
Wow...what a powerful piece. You did a great job explaining how wrong sex offenders are...I'm just sorry you had to go through with what you did. I wish we could do something so much more with sex offenders...prison just isn't enough! Personally, I think all nations need a more stable and secure ground for sex offenders. AGain, good job!

~ALways, saeo
7/9/2005 c1 150SpawnMeister666
There are a couple of things I find hard to believe about this piece.

The fact that I appear to be the only one bothering to review it is something that astounds me, I would have expected such an emotive subject would have generated a huge response.

Apart from that, the other thing that bothers me is the whole sex offenders register thing.

We have the same problem here in England where offenders are released from prison and then allowed to just disappear into the community.

Over the last few years we've had numerous cases where either convicted or suspected offenders have been found to be in positions of trust in schools or driving buses and so on.

To me there is no crime more abhorrant than child abuse, and anyone guilty of it should never be allowed out into the community again.

Instead, just about every week we have cases reported of people being found with literally hundreds of thousands of explicit images of children in their possession, and they get sentenced to nothing more than community service, or perhaps a couple of months in jail.

We've also just had a guy deported from Australia who has spent something like 35 of the 50 years he's been alive in prison over there for various sex crimes.

He got off a plane in London, was taken to a police station to be interviewed, and is now living somewhere in England and the press are not allowed to warn people he is in their community.

Until this kind of thing stops abuse will always remain widespread, and there is nothing anyone of us can do to prevent it.

Spawny