for Oxfam and Make Poverty History

10/8/2007 c2 19Sir Scott
I never heard of Oxfam charities, but it was an interesting to read about.

One question:

Who's Leyman?

~SirScott
9/9/2005 c2 37Leyman
I have read that quote from Mahatma before and I didn't find it asking me to give what I own, but rather to know its worth, and my position to it. Cool quote though.

I don't need to find anything wrong with Oxfam because I don't find their operations convincing. Not over here. It is rather because of the images they use, and the message they give to the public that I speak. If issues like this were really to be dealt with it would not be left to charity.

It is strange that these charity bodies are so adamant on people giving to them. I would find a charity that worked to transform our minds, and beliefs for our own sake a charity to work with. The last thing they should ask for may be funds.Have you read my essay on what education facilities can do to alleviate poverty?With the GAP YEAR MODEL, and all? (I can mail the link to it)If we want to take real approaches to this issue the space is there, all one has to do is balance creativity with determination. The determination to reach their "own" goal. Can we say these debated charities present us their causes like it is our goal?

Anyone can just give, if you talk them into it. But do they know why they are giving? Do they know to themselves why they are giving? Or are they just following trends, and emotions of guilt? Some individuals are not buying into it. Isn't scary that we have to wait for media exposes to feed us with the will we need to act? To make our emotions for us, and when its gone, pah! over, like MPH? This material and monetary giving is so organised in such a way akin to the clicking of buttons that Banks, and Multinationals are known for. So as with everything else the money is there, but what about the relationships, and humanity?

If the fact that non-government organisations working with international governing bodies (such as IMF) is baseless for criticism and should not be suspected then expect more years of this revolving door relationship that keeps the cycle of poverty going.

"just remember you are not a slave" Eric B and Rakim
8/30/2005 c2 33Tiefling
For the time being this is just going in a review because I don't have time to do a chapter on it.In case Giygas6 drops back in at all, capitalism and free enterprise most certainly do NOT cure poverty. They create wealth (for some) but that isn't the same thing. That's where fair trade comes in.
8/21/2005 c1 Giygas666
History has shown that capitalism and free enterprise cure poverty surer than any government program or charity.
8/13/2005 c1 Tiefling
In reply to Leyman (because I'm not sure when I'll get around to posting another chapter, it's SO not what I should be doing right now...)

re. the link, somehow the slashes seem to have disapeared in quick edit. There should be two slashes between the colon and the 'w's, and obviously you have to take the spaces out. In any case I doubt Oxfam would be hard to find through Google.

All the details about the next two MPH days are on Oxfam's website.

'how many wristbands were produced by the thousands under sweatshop conditions before Oxfam made it an issue to reform?'

I don't know how many , if any, wristbands were sold before they fixed it, but I first heard about it within the first week or so of the campaign (some weeks before Live 8). For a while we stopped selling the silicon wristbands and just sold the cloth ones because of the bad press, even though the silicon bands sold in Australia were never from the factory that didn't meet the standards.

'It is a pity Oxfam doesn’t have an equal competitor in this respect, as competition would lead to the question of value wouldn't it? '

There are other charities, if that's what you mean. By all means, do your own research and see if there's one that you think would spend your money better.

'# Gift aid schemes - taking money off income tax. If so what is the distribution from the dollar on that?'

I'm not sure what you mean. In Australia all charitable donations over a certain ammount (I think it's $5) are tax deductible. Whether the person donating claims their donation as a tax deduction or not has no effect on what Oxfam does with the money.

'#And is the same money scheme for donations the same as when one buys from an Oxfam gift shop product? Dido'

It's 'ditto', and no. Buying a gift from an Oxfam shop is not the same as making a donation, because you get something in return (besides a good feeling). All the products sold in Oxfam Australia shops are Fair Trade Certified, which means that the producers get paid a liveable wage instead of getting screwed over the way they usually are by other buyers. For details see the website (the Oxfam Australia one, as Oxfam UK shops are different).
8/13/2005 c1 37Leyman
@ Tiefling: Hey! I have tried one of the Oxfam links you put forth in my essay: Was Make Poverty Useful in your first review but it didn’t work. Something to do with the w's I think. I will look again for discussion sake, yet you could also put a GOOGLE keyword search that links to the same source for us here to look at if possible.

Good going Tiefling. And because I have thoroughly answered your questions, and comments from your last review to my essay I will digress from saying much in this chapter review for now.

‘Myth: The ‘Make Poverty History’ campaign is over. Reality: Actually, there are two more White Wristband Days coming up this year. These are September 10th , just before the UN summit, and December 10th, before the World Trade Organisation meets in Hong Kong.’

Ok! It really is difficult to criticise charity but because they target us the public for their cause one must say something. One fact remains, and that is that the main battleground for change was the G8 summit, and that is over. G8 Scotland was suppose to have the public pressurise the 8 world leaders to such a point that whatever decisions were made concerning the geo-politics of the poorer world would be conducive to the public protesters. I wish the next two dates have the same aim. But is there the same weight?

I ask sincerely how the days are going to be set up. I tried the link, and will do so again. But I ask of you if the day will be another public awareness event like the Make poverty history in July with bands playing? Where will these days take place? I'll put a note in for it in my diary, and watch CNN WORLD, BBC WORLD respectively. I hope that from these following events we can see Oxfam's development ethics shine more than it did on MPH. And that the criticisms on institutions to do with dropping debt and fairer trade is more dealt with more here.

‘Myth: The Make Poverty History Wristbands are produced by sweatshop labour. Reality: The Chinese factory manufacturing the silicon wristbands for Oxfam failed Oxfam’s standards on two counts. When Oxfam found out about this they moved production to another factory. However, they didn’t stop there. ‘

It reads well that Oxfam decided to stay with the manufacturers after the scandal. But let us ask about the timing, and intentions of this reform. Because we know the Chinese are hard workers, how many wristbands were produced by the thousands under sweatshop conditions before Oxfam made it an issue to reform? Was it when the campaign was already launched, and wristbands had already been sold by the millions? Or before anything was put on a counter?

If it was well before the campaign then one cannot say that Oxfam only made it an issue to reform in response to a leak of bad conduct but due to genuine concerns for the workers, and the code of ethics of the organisation. How the manufacturers managed to get away with it for the time they did who knows?

‘Myth: Oxfam is secretive or dishonest about the way donations to the organisation are Reality:For every AU$1 donated, 71c goes to Oxfam’s development programs around the world (or to the specific appeal you nominated). 6c is spent on administration and 23c is invested to generate future income for the organisation to keep it running.’

It is a pity Oxfam doesn’t have an equal competitor in this respect, as competition would lead to the question of value wouldn't it? That is to say value for money, if a like-orientated but smaller organisation did the same with less funds from the public and government.

As with every personal donation do Oxfam also do;

#And is the same money scheme for donations the same as when one buys from an Oxfam gift shop product? Dido.

It is best to hear the responses to these questions -especially- on the chinese workshops from somone who actually works for them.I have recently made some comments on this in my latest response to you. I'll watch this space for succeeding chapters.

Leyman
8/11/2005 c1 28Darthen
Short, sweet, and to the point.