for Plastic Flower

1/14/2007 c1 11Lizzykai
Wow. It starts so positive, and it's all down hill from there. Very well done!
1/4/2007 c1 7The Breakdancing Ninja
The stanza arrangement is quaint, which, for this poem, isn't necessarily a good thing. If it's broken up into stanzas this way, the poem itself as a much more plastic feel. All of it should be digested as one whole image. Here I am getting passionate again. lmao

I'll review it by stanzas (because the arrangement makes it so much easier for me to pick it apart, which, again is only a good thing for the purpose of analyzation, but not for the enjoyment of reading!).

First stanza: Sort of how people all look the same from the distance, the "it" (plastic flower) is invited and entitled to the same warmth and soil that other flowers are entitled to, because of its physical representation. It is a misleading, synthesized version of nature.

Second stanza: The weird (and AWESOME) part of this stanza is that you can't really tell what the sentiment of the poem is, whether it envies this little plastic flower or pities that it will always live unharmed "for the rest of its life". Because, the iron fence and the sunflower's height could be looked at in two tones. The iron fence (as opposed to a wooden one) shows us a sense of confinement, imprisonment. It could also show safety. The sunflower's tall shadow can be seen as a sort of primadonna overshadowing the talentless but hard-working type-in a sense, the shadow is a reminder that the sunflower will forever grow, while the plastic flower doesn't. But, at the same time, the height of the sunflower could be seen as, well, that analogy "taken under wing", of somethin small tucked in something great. A plastic flower next to another beautiful flower is like a somewhat pretty girl in a crowd of pretty girls-she will naturally be associated. So, the two interpretations of the images could be used, and THEN applied to whether the poem sympathizes or mocks. Because it could be sympathizing with the plastic flower being imprisoned, or mocking the flower for being imprisoned. It could be sympathizing with the plastic flower for being "taken under wing", or mock the flower for being overshadowed. Too many interpretations for this stanza.

Third stanza: There's a hope for this synthesized object; it can provide life for other forms, but at the same time, the poem is suggesting that the life it births isn't beautiful or pleasing, but it becomes a birthplace, nevertheless. And AGAIN, the poem could either be sympathizing with the poor flower or mocking the fake flower, saying that all it will be a birthplace to are dirty things, as if it is abomidable to Nature.

Fourth stanza: This one is unsettling and depressing. I think, the people who are collecting flowers obviously place more value on ones that are alive than the fake one. The plastic flower is untouchable, almost like a leper, even if it is pretty. The consolation (or downfall, because AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN the tone of the poem could be taken either way) is that the plastic flower is immortalized like tombs are. It is only a dead, unfeeling projection of what real flowers are, and will be called such. But the question is, what? A flower, or a PLASTIC flower?

The poem is amazing, because it doesn't exactly anthropomorphize the flower, but it sympathizes with it in a human way. It's creepy, because we know the flower isn't alive, the POEM knows the flower isn't alive, but the poem sympathizes (OR MOCKS!) the flower anyway. It's so deceptively simple, but so genius, that it might go unappreciated. The images were crystal clear; I think, though your work has started to morph from its more ecclectic roots, it has a more self-actualized feel, at the cost of its beautiful and strange language. The images are more direct, but more interpretable than ever. It's insane how you do this!

I don't think I'll ever get tired of your poetry; admittedly, though, it's getting harder and harder to analyze. I can't even begin to Hertz this and try to connect this to Life. Though, I can say this much. A person can hide behind a fake personality, fit in, and be safe all their life, but PUNTO A) they will always be in someone else's shadow, someone who is real, genuine, honest, and is growing, b) they will breed dirty, envious or tepid thoughts, c) they will be picked last, if at all, and will be remembered as their fake, quaint personality, rather than going through different transformations and stages of Life and fucking up, but really living. I'm too embarrassed to try at another interpretation.

God, your poetry's a dream and a reality smashed into one.
1/1/2007 c1 5Cracked Pepper
Hm...

Interesting.

I think you could of done a little more with this idea.

But it's good.