for Clark Reeper Tales

4/13/2008 c33 sylenctone
I must say that I got so caught up in the story I plain forgot to review at the end of each chapter. That was lovely! I loved watching the relationship between Clark and Ms. Sherman grow whilst the action unfolded. That was a very engrossing story arc and I am constantly impressed by the way your frank and matter of fact sounding prose can portray such imaginative subjects. This really is so much fun to read! And you always manage to leave just enough loose ends and stray bits of plot dangling off at the ends that I can't wait to read more. I'd love to see the reunion between Brimstone and his son, for example. And I worry rather a bit about the earthquake's effects. But even so, the arc feels 'finished' and that is something I struggle with in my own writing. Though I've said it before, you never fail to impress me with your writing. Thanks for sharing it!

4/13/2008 c30 sylenctone
Thanks for the clarification:) It all makes sense now! The rain of toads and sunless day don't seem to bode particularly well at all. Though I think I'm glad they've encountered Doc Torrent again. I'm not sure if that's because he'll help them out, or because they know where he is and can keep an eye on him though. Thanks for writing!

4/13/2008 c1 Mayken
Well, this really surprised me. While i think that the voice of the piece could use a little work (it's not bad, but it does sound a little clunky at times), I actually enjoyed reading it. And I'm looking forward to finding the time to read the rest of them.
3/15/2008 c8 14John Westcott
I think I've read enough of these tales by now to declare this the best western series on fictionpress. ;) This chapter was no exception. I'm impressed at the mention of the NAACP. I didn't realize their creation dated back to 1909 and more or less fit in with this tale.

We also get some interesting background on Charles. I didn't know he was Jewish. If you've seen Deadwood, and I know you have, you know Jews were not well taken to in the old west. Red Turtle's dialog had me smiling, as well. It's nice to see that not all of Reeper's foes are supernatural. There are plenty of real crazy people out there who are just as nasty and horrifying as blood sucking vampire desperadoes.

All the best

JW
3/2/2008 c7 John Westcott
Another excellent and professionally written chapter in the ongoing Clark Reeper saga! I had to laugh at the idea of a Texas Ranger named Walker in the old west. Did he, by chance, sell full home gyms to settlers? ;)

I also noticed the H.G. Wells reference early on. Will we be seeing any Wells inspired chapters to come? I guess I'll have to read on and find out. As always, this proves to be an excellent compendium of short stories. When you're talking about wild west legends, everyone fears the Reaper.
2/29/2008 c6 John Westcott
Another excellent, and yet different type of installment. This time, there's really no otherworldly craziness to battler, even if it is macabre and distrubing. The name Eldridge Drump sounds kind of like a Harry Potter-esque name to me, not at all a bad thing it's just something I noticed. So, Drump meats contain pieces of... human face and skin? Damn! I'm putting my sandwich down right now! ;)

Another exciting chapter in the ongoing saga of Clark Reeper and his young ward. I still think of them kind of like Batman and Robin... also not a bad thing. It's a nice relationship that humanizes Clark a great deal.

I hope the rumored Sasquatch hunt is actually explored. I love me some Sasquatch. ;)

All the best

JW
2/21/2008 c29 sylenctone
Clark Reeper, you sly dog! Hehe. Very nice. I'm quite surprised he managed to keep his promise, though in a rather literal way. I really ought to get back to work but it's so slow today! I guess tourists don't want much to do with New Jersey in February. I rather like the longer story arcs. The oneshot type chapters are fun too, but the longer bits are really engrossing. And addictive.

2/21/2008 c28 sylenctone
Thanks a bunch for putting Chapter 27 up so quick! I'm really quite engrossed in this series and have been reading off and on for a while. Watching Clark and Charles try to fit in to high society is such fun. And, if I'm not mistaken, that scar across "the Mormon's" face was put there by an obsidian tomahawk. Heh. I should probably go back to work now... feh.

2/20/2008 c27 sylenctone
Hi! I've been reading these stories off and on for a while and I just wanted to let you know that chapter 27 is not a Clark Reaper tale but rather something called "1. Black Flag Leaves Last"

I'm not sure if Fiction Press mucked about with your document when you uploaded it or whatever but I thought you should know!

thanks!

jess
2/20/2008 c23 sylenctone
I must say that while I enjoy all of your chapters, this one had me grinning and chuckling the whole way through! I do rather hope they'll see Cal and Charlotte again. Such fun!

2/16/2008 c5 John Westcott
Ah, The Kraken, eh? Well done. You've brought another piece of cryptozoological theory to the fore and used it in a western. What an impressive imagination. These are among the best stories I've ever read on

Well done, once more.
2/16/2008 c4 John Westcott
I wholeheartedly agree with Clark. A boy should be at least 13 before he can drink alcohol and throw it back up. ;)

Noah Feratu, huh? Great name.

I envy you you're great skill with words and look to you as an example of how I want mine to be. Sadly, I don't think I'll ever get there, but the fun is in the trying.

So, I wonder, will Constance be another permanent addition to the cast? I guess I'll have to read on.

As always, WELL DONE!
1/30/2008 c1 2Cuaglar
This is one of the first stories I've read so far here on Fictionpress, and I must say it is simply incredible. A very enjoyable read, although at times the simple, rather rustic style of the narrative, while a great way to emphasize the character's manner of telling a story, can be a little irksome every now and then. Nonetheless, the style should stay as it is, and except for a little editing for spelling that is necessary for any writer, I'd say these stories are brilliant, and more than ready for publication.
1/29/2008 c3 14John Westcott
“Hell? Ah hell,”

Heh. Good stuff.

It would seem that our intrepid bounty hunter now has a young ward, 'Robin' to his 'Batman', if you will. Always nice to see a regular supporting cast that we, the readers, can invest in. I hope Charles isn't just used as bait in the future, however, though with your imagination and talent I doubt you'll fall into that trap. Man, it's hard to believe you're only a Jr. in high school. I wanted to be a writer when I was your age and I couldn't string two words together. When you're my age you'll probably be a famous author. I hope you keep pumping out Clark Reeper tales once you've hit the bestseller list. ;)
1/12/2008 c5 sylenctone
These stories are such fun! I was quite amused by the 'Free Willy' references too. I'll be looking forward to more of the Reeper tales! Thank you for writing!

122 « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »