for How To Be An Asian American

12/24/2009 c1 5qczhao
love it, so true.
12/24/2009 c1 9Sakina the Fallen Angel
Lol...that is soo true...didn't realise American Asians had it exactly the same as British Asians...I found myself just sadly nodding in agreement at every single line here. I don't think I have ever read anything that hits home more than this does, and I don't think I have ever met anyone who feels the same way as I do, so I am very thankful to have come across this, and all I can say is that the only thing you can do is to hold your head high, and little by little, the world will change.

~ Sakina x
12/21/2009 c1 4Kurisuten
One small criticism that others have touched on but I'd just like to say it again because I feel like it: Not all Asians are Chinese. I am Chinese and Japanese. Just saying, it kind of threw me off in the first couple of sentences.

Anyways, getting past that, I found this absolutely hysterical and very true. It referred to so many stereotypes that I hear almost daily; truly refreshing and gave me a big goofy smile on my face.

Though I don't speak Chinese or Japanese fluently, I know people that do and I know that those stereotypes are very true sometimes.

The rice thing cracks me up. My mom is Chinese and hates rice. She also can't roll her tongue (inside joke, sorry xD haha I'm rambling again).

The "Are you related?" really got to me because I always get mistaken for other Asians. and people think I'm smart just because I am Asian; does that mean I wouldn't be just as smart if I wasn't? Still, that is one of the stereotypes I don't really mind as much. The smartness one, I mean.

I am a proud Asian-American :D and this was very, very entertaining.
11/13/2009 c1 24Ravina
This was very amusing! I liked how it addressed so many common stereotypes.

- Rebekah
11/5/2009 c1 14Beautiful Destination
This is really, really amusing. And so true. I completely relate to most of the snippets you wrote about. And Bunsen burners...I was scared of them. My partner and I usually had a guy turn it on for us lol.

Oh, and sadly, I may be the only Asian on earth who can't hold/use chopsticks properly. My dad makes fun of me constantly for it. Then again, my mom doesn't hold it properly either. My little sister, who was born in here in the US, by the way, knows how to use them better than me. It's pretty sad.

Great essay :)
10/26/2009 c1 deactivated account sorry
Yay! I'm Chinese too! But my family does not eat THAT much rice, and I have admit that I don't really know how to use chopsticks the proper way. *cringe*

QUOTE: "Asian parents wills(WILL) always compare you to their friends’ children. Dad will say, “Yao’s daughter got a 35 on the ACT!” or Mom will say, “Lin’s son got a scholarship to Harvard!” These remarks are intended to cause you to study harder to achieve the same result. Think to yourself, “Good for them. I don’t care.” Nevertheless, smile and nod, and say, “I’m going to go prepare for the SAT.” Secretly curl up in bed to read another novel."

RESPONSE: LOL! This is so da*n true!

QUOTE: "An acquaintance comes up and sees another Asian nearby. She immediately asks you, “Are you two related?” This annoys you to no end. Do you ask every blond person if he or she is related to your blond friend? Didn’t think so."

RESPONSE: Hell yeah, this pisses me off too.

QUOTE: No one ever said Asians were good drivers.

RESPONSE: LOL. But we were SUPPOSED to be good at everything, right? *sarcasm*
10/10/2009 c1 1margo lily
I'm a Korean Asian American.
9/19/2009 c1 5greensmiles
Great job. I'm asian too and i can totally relate to that hahahah
9/12/2009 c1 67moongazer7
Hahahaha, funny. And, lets not forget the pretend to speak chinese thing and then laughing at you like the Chinese language is so fucking dumb.
9/5/2009 c1 my own prince
Aw man, I have friends who are Korean-Asian Americans. :P I kid, i kid. I understand you're Chinese. :P

I liked the part with the parents and how they worked really hard to get into the country so of couse they're going to want their kids to do the same. I wouldn't know what that would be like, but I guess I understand the parents' logic.

I liked it, it was funny and also a bit sad. I don't live in America, but where I live, we pretty much accept people from all nationalities. Although it's inevitable to see people as their race first and it's sad that people still don't respect other peoples' cultures.
8/20/2009 c1 10CassandraStacy
I'm not usually fan of second person stories, but I REALLY enjoyed this. Not only is it incredibly well-written and not only does it really draw the reader in, but you can def tell that it's real. This piece is a true part of you. I liked the ending . . . in an ironic kind of way; alas, to perpetuate stereotypes. Thanks so much for sharing this story!

Cassandra