for The Bible: Fact or Folly

4/11/2010 c1 43Dante's Disciple
Well you put the question well, though definitley from a believers perspective, cleverly putting across it's power of returning to importance in the words of great men.

However I am not religious, though I come from a Christian family.

I think the Bible WAS very relevant in history. Throughout time something has been needed to bring people together for a common cause. Driving Muslim invaders out of Europe, holding together the crumbling Roman Empire, keeping a country from civil war. These are why faith was neccessary.

So if you're question was relevance, then my answer is it was, but is not today.

The fact or folly is harsh, as folly is a term that could be taken badly. But no, I don't believe the Bible is fact. Not only because the miracles that occur earlier on are so fantastical but also because there seems to be NO archealogical evidence of any of those events ever having happened. The Exodus, The Crucifixion, we'd know for sure if these happened.

Also, as the Bible claims to be the word of God we have to take it as literally gospel truth. Yet it condemns certain people for being the very thing God made them, a major pointer being homosexuals.

Can we believe in a God or deity who allegedly would see put to death (as the Bible instructs) someone who is only as he meant him to be.

In Exodus God 'hardens the heart' of Pharaoh, to stop him letting the Jews go free. In turn he punishes Pharoah and all Egypt for this, but he made him say no. It is an unlikely story which if true describes a God I wouldn't want to believe in.

I have no problem with religious people at all. I understand the want and need to have faith and that something which has existed for 10's of years CAN still have power today. But the prejudice and sense of moral superiority it creates are an ugly side effect for something which for all our certainties could be as good as fantasy.

I hope I haven't been offensive in any way, this is undoubtedly the longest review I've written (not really a review though is it) but it's an interesting subject for me so glad you brought it up.

Very Good!
4/11/2010 c1 81LittleLoser.AndRoloLamperouge
It is a fact to the eyes of the believers. Relevant at all times, at all generations, if the generations believes in it.

-Rolo
4/10/2010 c1 Tactile Turtle
I don't care how the universe ("How do you think the world started?" makes me think your some kind of geocentric tit) started nor do i care about a collection of fairy tales, you may as well go worship the Berenstain Bears - then at least it would be worth your time.
4/10/2010 c1 You Know Who
I believe that the Bible(Or Torah, is what the Jewish people call the first part) is written by G-D and man. I believe it took seven parts, not days to create the world. Because we got the days later during creation. During those "Days" animals evolved and the world changed. Ant religious text is relevant because that's what people of any religion will read for inspiration.
4/9/2010 c1 13redacted
The bible is a collection of finely pressed wombat excretions, the contents of which I would not use to manure my garden.

The absolute and utter irrelevance of this bastardized work of fiction is kept on its disastrous trail of lies and ignorance only by the gullibility and weakness of the common folk.

At the risk of sounding cliche, it truly is the opiate of the masses.
4/8/2010 c1 67Bradly
You want my answer huh? Oh boy do I got them, haha. The Bible is most definitely relevant today. The Bible isn't just a story, but a biography of all our ancestors and what they went through during that time. People say that history repeats itself, well the Bible is a prime example of that. You ever want to get a good look at yourself, instead of looking at a mirror, read the Bible. The Bible is full of answers that are completely relevant to the events of today. Everything we all go through of all types of problems has already happened. There's a story and answer for every occasion and it's all there in the Bible. You think I'm wrong, then just read it for yourself, and not just bits and pieces, but read it as a whole. It's people who pick and choose the verses they like that create all the crazy rules different religions have. Read it how it's supposed to be read and you will see that things are not as complicated as everyone makes them to be. ANYWASE, I could go on all day about this, but I'll leave it at that for now. I hope you've enjoyed my answer. :)
4/8/2010 c1 10hayella
It is truth. The existence of the Bible is fact. The Bible itself is fact because it has the words of God. And if you ask me why, it's because the words in there are words of my God. If you ask me how I know He's real, I'll say I can give you proves you cannot count. Not believing in it is the absence of faith. I have strong faith. I won't live without my God. Right now, I'm facing challenges. That's why I read the Bible. Because there, I can find answers. Do you know one great difference the Bible has from any other books? If you read other books, you can read it one or maybe more times and then you'll get its full impact. But the Bible, no matter how many times you read it, you can never get its full impact. If you ask why, it's simply because God's words are eternal. There's always more. There's always more for both you and I.