for The Sane Writer's Guide To: The Mary Sue

1/11/2016 c1 1Tomoyuki Tanaka
Thanks for the guide, it's extremely useful! I had best recommend this to a few writers I know (I personally have benefited from it). This is enlightening.
6/2/2015 c1 1Solar-Drag0n
Haha I was afraid my character Faeveren was a Mary Sue and she might be... She's half elvish half dwarfish and she has silver white hair and violet eyes. She's talented in fights with swords and bows and arrows yet when it comes to magic and spells she tends to lack what's necessary. Backstory is pretty dark and exotic; her parents were killed blah blah. Oh yeah, she's also the princess of both the elves and the dwarfs... :\ -Cat.
10/29/2012 c1 ijh
I think Harry Potter is obnoxious. He is handsome, self sacrificing, and brave, but of course he is so modest he won't admit it. Seriously, does the guy have even one flaw?
I don't think Bella is a Mary Sue. She has flaws.
8/31/2011 c1 Fluffness
This was awesome. Many times have I stumbled across a Sue/Stu in fandoms (this is where my dislike of OCs has come from, even if not all of them are bad) and I got sick of reading fanfics for a while. I've also been working on a story, when I realized that my characters had many of the Sue/Stu traits and re-wrote them all. It's really helpful to have someone write about the Sue/Stus, and was glad you pulled out different sources, not just one. (Yes, TvTropes is a great source! Also glad to see a troper (: ) Thanks for writing this, and I do hope you'll continue, even if it's been a year or so.
10/21/2010 c1 bustedbyherparents
Thank you for writing this essay. It is very helpful, as I struggle to write interesting characters. All of my own characters seem alike, or just like me, or my current crush. :D This is going to help me in changing the things about my characters that make them Mary Sue-ish. Again, thanks for sharing!

‚ô•Muzica
9/30/2010 c1 1Violet-Madness
Thank you!
7/7/2010 c1 9Octoberly
Nice. You just said almost everything needed to be said about Mary Sue-ness. It's true, nearly everyone's had one (I know I have...) I found this really helpful and I think you did a really great job. :)

Thanks a lot for the good advice.

Owl Moon
6/18/2010 c1 37LaFarfalla
This was both insightful and humorous! I thoroughly enjoyed it and I definitely agree with a lot of the points you made. Especially Twilight. Bella is such a blatant Mary Sue it makes me want to stab the book with a stake. I really like your essay writing style. Keep up the good work!
5/30/2010 c1 name redacted
Once again, well written, very useful, not to mention accurate. I can't count how many books I've gotten into and then been like '...wait... there are no flaws..." You definitly seem to have a good way around it, which is absolutely admirable, because I can't write a balanced character for my life (so many Anti-sues). Do you have any tips on redeeming Anti-sues, or protagonists that are just plain unlikeable, if not actually bogged down in flaws/lacking talent of any kind?

*brief note: noticed a few minor mispellings. You may want to spell check. See: "Heck, maybe she's a horrible cook no *mater* how hard she tries."
5/24/2010 c2 LittleBlackBox
Hm...interesting...I like it!
5/15/2010 c1 3Cucumber-girl
This was good too. I hope you become more famous on FP!
5/12/2010 c2 2commonshrew
i think i am madly in love with you.
5/11/2010 c2 6BookObsesserNumberOne
Thank you immensely for writing this. I have never had the courage to write fiction, due to the fact my characters always become self-inserts/Mary-Sues. I'm sorry, but I just not that talented. What I advise to do about Mary-Sues is roleplay where you can make more than one character. My first character was a self-insert, although I managed to give her my flaws. After getting comfortable with this character, I tried another unique one, with different flaws, appearance, and personality. Its been going well so far, so I highly recommend multi-person roleplay. I've seen people who have constant Mary-Sues learn to write and juggle new characters through it.
5/8/2010 c1 Gravey
WHOA! You are an excellent essay writer!
5/8/2010 c1 2Wendy Isingold
Wow, this helps a lot. I made sure to read every detail of this because I don't want my character to be extremely unflawed. She hasn't gotten the flaws out yet, but merely hinted at them. Next chapter, they'll be out and leaking into her world. She will be real. Anyways, I liked this, and it's very informational.
16 Page 1 2 Next »