for Smoke and Lies

8/1/2014 c1 4White Panda
I really do like this haiku, and it does a very good job at leaving you with a lingering thought for the day.
4/15/2013 c1 4HollyRose2043
One of the other reviews was correct on the rhythm count (5-7-5). Your second and third lines follow this, and if you replace the 'are' in the first line with a semi-colon, I think your intended meaning will be retained. Although I have very limited experience with haikus, I'm pretty sure that periods are used only in the third line to preserve the flow (this is a nit-picky suggestion).

Also, in an interesting sidebit I found on under 'Examples of Haiku Poems', it mentions another longer form of haiku, if you want to give it a try:
"Haiku started out as a popular activity during the 9th to 12th centuries in Japan called “tanka.” It was a progressive poem, where one person would write the first three lines with a 5-7-5 structure, and the next person would add to it a section with a 7-7 structure. The chain would continue in this fashion. So if you wanted some old examples of haiku poems, you could read the first verse of a “tanka” from the 9th century.

The first verse was called a “hokku” and set the mood for the rest of the verses. Sometimes there were hundreds of verses and authors of the “hokku” were often admired for their skill. In the 19th century, the “hokku” took on a life of its own and began to be written and read as an individual poem. The word “haiku” is derived from “hokku.” "
4/5/2013 c1 12CorycianAngel1944
it's a nice poem, but it doesn't look like a haiku at all. Yes it has three lines, just watch the syllable count, ok? a haiku consists with the 1st line 5 syllables, the 2nd 7, and the 3rd 5. sorry.
4/4/2013 c1 4Ian Brunner
I like this very much, simple and straight forward but leaves you thinking. Very nice!