for inside amber

1/30 c1 250Synthey
Loved every single word of every single stanza especially the lines "like skeletons of once potent beings dissolved, trapped in honey-coloured glass" and the descriptions of course! you paint a picture very few could with only words, at least not as deep or as somber this seems, albeit with hopeful undertones.
10/2/2017 c1 19Ckh
*Browses through RG depth poems, see your work*
"Hey, lets see what people think of this work of yours."
*Read reviews, reads poem, has nothing to say*

This is urm good imagery and urm *reiterates what other reviewers have been saying. Depth reviews are crazy good*

But seriously, good work. I couldn't had said it better.
4/9/2017 c1 7boggs
Your poetry is great! I love the metaphor here, and it is at once (quite sadly) striking as it is true. Sometimes we have no choice but to let go of the dreams we worked for for so long, even if doing so "hollows" us out. I'm not sure if the tree is an extended metaphor of a human soul that has lost its purpose, but I really like the idea, anyway.
I do think there is an element of beauty, though, in the dreams we leave behind. Though it may leave us void of purpose, we see in time that our dreams become "honey-coloured glass," so to speak. Though it may not be what we want, at least we can see our dreams in another form-a reflective form that shines (in its own way) and serves as a mirror of where we've been and who we used to be.
Again, great work! I love it.
2/3/2017 c1 TheNonyMouse
Hi, and sorry this review is so late, but congrats on winning the last WCC!

Since you specifically asked about understanding, I thought this poem seemed fairly straightforward. I understood it as a commentary on the way some people are constant dreamers but never act or try to bring their dreams out into the world to make them reality. Dreams like that have no life to them. They can't be tarnished perhaps by other people, they're preserved in their original form, but they also never grow or help you grow; they never live.

I thought the flow of the poem was a bit choppy. The lack of capitals or periods made it feel a bit half finished, which works for the first part but then falls down in the third stanza. The imagery was really nice, though! I especially liked the second line - it made me think of someone keeping their dreams hidden away in the dark places inside themselves. The subject is something that's explored a lot, but you did a good job making your own metaphor at the beginning. The last few lines kind of break the metaphor, though, and might have been better if you stayed with the imagery of, say, something flying away before it could be encased in amber.

Overall, nice poem!
1/13/2017 c1 97rust phoenix
I enjoy your imagery in this poem, particularly in regards to colour. The amber, honey, and dull orange are a vibrant contrast to the darkness of the "fabric of the universe." I was somewhat tripped up by "like skeletons of once potent beings dissolved," as "beings" is somewhat vague and makes it difficult to form an image, and "dissolved" does not seem to fit with the preservative qualities of amber. Upon rereading, I assume the line means that the beings have dissolved but their skeletons remain, but the sentence structure makes this ambiguous.

The last line is subtle, and I'm not 100% sure whether it's working for me. While I like the imagery and descriptiveness of the poem, the last line feels abrupt and has a lot of emphasis placed on it, as it is shorter than the other lines and positioned in a stanza by itself. However, it doesn't appear (in my opinion) to offer new insight that isn't in the previous stanza, so I was not sure why there was so much emphasis placed on it. I think this line would work better if it was either not placed in a stanza by itself or if there was more build up to it, or if it was somehow changed to provide insight that was not in the previous stanza, rather than simply reiterating the idea.

Overall, I found this a vibrant and moving poem. You have a talent with imagery and vivid verbs.
1/11/2017 c1 286Archia
I love this image of the tree and dreams being encased in amber. I could imagine it so well. This poem was wonderful, and I think it really said something about making dreams more than just something sitting there but something woven into life. It was wonderful.
11/7/2016 c1 12lianoid
To start, I love the how this poem appears visually. I'm always a fan of three lines per stanza, for some reason. Even though there's one with four lines, it's balanced well with the last line being on its own. The last line being separate also makes more of an impression. Nicely done.

The imagery is fantastic here. I love the "dreams turning into fossils" bit, particularly because it's paired nicely with the earlier line about leaving them in a tree. I just found it all to be rather clever and well written.

Great work!
7/30/2016 c1 14metamodernmarx
I first read this as a simple poem exploring the potential of dreams, but soon came to a more complex interpretation of the dream as representative of the past. Your poem chillingly conveys this through the image of the 'amber', a stone prized for its luxurious ability to read into the past, trapping creatures millions of years extinct within, still intact and in most cases, appearing to be almost alive. This amber perpetuates my pessimistic understanding of your piece, as a tragic and "nostalgic" recollection of the past, a past that had all its ideals and idealized wishes placed in the form of the dream, the looking into the future. Sadly, they do not materialize and serve no purpose except the painful remembrance of 'unfulfiled (sic)' things past, whose regretful non-being we are left to gaze upon. What potency is there, what call to action, but the miserable weeping we execute as we observe the lacklustre 'orange, not even gold at best' stones that once carried hope and desire? The quality of the amber lies in its dead inhabitant, an individual still looking promising and alive, yet which cannot move or speak.

Your poem is short, and powerful, due to your competent ability to invoke useful and relevant imagery. The 'universe' of the persona is dead, and she(?) asserts the need to reverse this, by changing the very 'fabric' of her world itself. In so doing, we see the power of dreams and the innate nature of aspiration within a developing human being. The poem overall conveys quite well the need for self-actualization and a certain level of metacognition, departing from the dormant, lazy stasis that is amber, a seemingly comfortable and calm place to live one's hopes and dreams, but inevitably remains the cold, silent tomb for the purpose of exhibition. The persona's ending 'no' elucidates a clear declaration of her will to transcend what she is constrained within, and it is on one level a desire to realize one's goals, on another a call to materialize the idealized, a call to action.

Desktop Mode . Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service