for The Moral of the Tale

12/27/2018 c1 7lirianstar
I honestly couldn't agree more.
I've seen this with too many lit teachers to count by now, unfortunately. And it really is rather sad.

The issue with people mostly, is the that of 'not having open minds' - or being automatically judgemental.
A story is doesn't have to have a clear cut moral - it can, but it doesn't have to. I mean what is the fun in that?

A story which can make you think, which can pull you in, which fores your imagination is far more wonderful that something rigid and to the point.

Also, everyone reader is unique - every person can interpret the story the read differently, and unearth more from it - hence, in a way become a part of it and even continue it!

Whereas in a "so is so/can only be so" story is bland and honestly...lacks the ability to inspire in the end. Seriously,
presupposing and inserting mandatory rules in fiction, isnt that as good as negating the purpose of the genre?

Reality by itself is so complex and complicated - that even we still haven't been able to explain it. And boxing down fantasy to rules?

Oh please!
Write more of these!
10/15/2018 c1 26Zukafu Chiriamoto
This is something I never really thought about before. But, after reading this, I really am giving it a good think about now...

Certain genres are naturally more accepting of moral undertone (or overtone in some cases). Fairytales are probably the most notable example out there due to their original function to inform - they were PSA for children on what to do/not do in their lives. Especially something like the traditional Grimm tales or Hans Christian Anderson stories. Even with more 'softer' retellings of today from Disney that often draw more on the fantastical rather than the realism or relatable characters, these messages are still present as general morals.

But something like romance or fantasy has a different function entirely. They are escapism, a draw away from daily life as we know. Their worlds are a huge appeal and their characters are typically something to deeply invest in. Pushing in morals that relate to a different world than to the one shown in the pages wouldn't work. It would feel forced, misplace and possibly contradictory. Not unless the entire story is some mirror to daily life, then again, it would more likely fall into a theme rather than moral by that point.

So yes, I very much agree with you. 'Theme' and 'Moral' are different. And whilst themes are pretty omnipresent things, always there to some degree at least, morals aren't and shouldn't have to be.

Thanks for sharing this!
~ Zukafu
10/2/2018 c1 9Luna Abbot
Morals are just to focus for you!
And sometimes you end up writing one even if you just meant to write something about drinking a glass of water, 'cause someone somewhere, they'll think anything you write is a psychological profile! That it's show of everything you think and value in the world. And what you think about people.

Are they always right?
I dunno.

Anyway, food for thought!
Thanks!