for Step Out

2/22/2019 c1 26Zukafu Chiriamoto
I was enjoying this very much! It has many qualities of a song.
An awfully nice addition to my evening,
Zukafu
2/3/2019 c1 Will9035
Hmmm...very interesting. Normally, when it comes to your poetry, I'd like to think I'm normally pretty good at pegging the tone. This time, though, I'm not so sure. And that's not a bad thing!

The first couple of stanzas had a sort of resigned feel to them-kind of like how we're obligated to continue trying to be a force for good in the world, even though so many factors out of our control try to stop us from doing so. The middle stanzas seem more focused on keeping a positive attitude even when most people would say you're not in any position to do so, like when you're "weak" or "on your knees." The last couple of stanzas almost seemed like they were taken from a different work altogether. Whereas most of the poem seemed introspective, especially with the constant use of first-person, the last two stanzas (three, if you count the final line) sound like someone issuing statements or orders to someone else. Maybe it's the narrator from the first couple of stanzas realizing that life is always going to have its setbacks and the only thing to do is to keep your head up, and the end of the poem is him/her dispensing that same advice onto someone else? Or maybe it's the narrator talking to himself?

Part of me thinks this poem was written as a response to the conclusion to the 'Lexie Episode.' Kind of as a way to remind yourself that there's still the potential for 'glory,' and that 'taking the pains' is only one part of the process.