for Another Time

4/23/2021 c1 9Mislav
Very creepy and intense story. I read and reviewed "The Slicer of Souls" amost two weeks ago, and I enjoyed this one just as much. You did a great job of building up the suspense. It kept me on the edge of my seat. I was really worried for Josie throughout the story. The part where she discovered a cord coming from the wall, wrapped around her neck, was truly terrifying. I knew the story would have a sad ending, but it still hurt. I guess her death will be ruled a suicide; implying that other sudden "suicides" are actually caused by that. Creepy. I especially liked this part: "The yellow glow from the meager 60-Watt bulb in the equally meager lamp on her desk lit her study space somewhat adequately but did a poor job of illuminating the rest of the room, thus creating numerous shadows.

Josie found herself looking around. She didn't know why, but still felt uneasy about something. Even though she reasoned with herself that what she had felt on her neck was her imagination, or perhaps a strained muscle, the odd feeling that something wasn't right still clung to her thoughts.

She stepped over to the light switch and flipped it on.

Nothing happened.

She tried the light several times in a vain attempt to get it to work but still nothing happened.

She spun around, trying desperately to find something, anything that might help explain the anomaly, but only succeeded in furthering her confusion. Everything seemed normal, nothing was out of place.

Giving into the fear that was blossoming in her gut Josie decided to get out of the house. Her parents were both away for the night so she could leave a note for them on the fridge. She could then make her way to her friend Debra's house, or the police station, or a crowded mall, anywhere there were other people.

She grabbed the doorknob in a trembling hand but the door wouldn't budge.

Panic set in, crippling her thoughts as well as her body. She couldn't move. She couldn't think straight. Her heart raced in her chest.

Another sharp tug on the back of her neck literally spun her around. One second she was facing her bedroom door that wouldn't open and the next she was looking at the window above her desk.

"The window!" she cried before she could help herself, and scrambled over to it, nearly tripping over her own feet. "I'll climb out the window!" She caught a glimpse of her cell phone then, a gaudily-decorated purple and pink box, and cursed herself for not trying it before. But no

sooner had her self-directed obscenities left her lips then she felt another tug, this one more forceful than the others. It was like someone had a cable embedded in her neck and was working a winch, pulling her backward.

She cried out in pain.

"Help me! Somebody please help me!"

However, her pleas for help only dissipated in the empty room, the empty house. She was alone, at the mercy of some terrifying supernatural event.

With as much effort as she could muster, Josie craned her neck to see where she was being pulled."

Chilling. I also liked how you explained what happened to her, making it known that she didn't deserve it and that it could happen to anyone: ""Why me?" Josie cried just as she was forcibly pulled into the wall, and as she fell into the abyss, the moldering faces of Colonial times feeding off her pain, she realized in her final moments that she simply had the misfortune of, through her studies, attracting their attention; they wanted to share their historic struggles with her." Keep up the great work. You are very talented. I really enjoyed reading this story.