for Poetry Comparison

5/27/2007 c1 imaginedinsanity
While i doubt you will read this, i feel the need to write that i, like you, absolutely abhor the crap that some english teachers make poetry go through. Take for instance, in sixth grade when we had to analyze Robert Frost, who i probably would have liked had it not been for the fact that i had to take part in the murder of some of his best works; my point of veiw is that poetry should be cherished, not put under a microscope so we can search for things that don't matter instead of appreciating genius.

wow, that was a helluva rant there. Cheers,

Imagined
7/3/2006 c1 kmuntz
Sad, isn't it?
2/23/2006 c1 40Moosher
Loved it.. The topic and the format you wrote it in. I also liked the repetition of "we killed a poem". Nice metaphor.. Lol..am I killing yours? I tend to analyze the details of poetry far too much sometimes, but I admit that I don't always do it, or really enjoy doing it, its just who I am i guess. i hate it in class. Sometimes it's just better if you read and wonder. Great writing, keep it up!

-Meme
12/3/2005 c1 4jemraja
Haha love your poem :] This is kind of true for english films and what-not as well. Bless those teachers that let us watch it through properly first.
8/7/2004 c1 scissor sex
Things may be different at your school, but when we discussed poems in English class, I always felt like I understand the poem better afterwards. The teacher doesn¡¯t TELL us, ¡°this symbol means that, and that means this¡±- we all throw around ideas about what WE THINK it could mean.
And it is possible that the situation in your poem may be different, but then again it may not.
However, the trouble is NOW. The school I go to is a school in my own country (not the U.S.; it¡¯s somewhere in Asia)- and I won¡¯t tell you what country it is because I¡¯m so ashamed of it- but THERE we do what you stated in the poem:
Firstly we measured it,
Metaphors
To the nearest effectimeter;
The power of the
Hidden message
To the nearest powimeter.
Those are my favorite lines.
Besides, there are thoughtless poems- extremely vague in meaning, and impossible to understand. Some of they may be Great, but others were pieced together from the leftovers of other poems and clumsily put forth as Great. And because those poems are unintelligible, many people DO call them Works of Genius.
Hm. The above comment seems irrelevant to your poem. Forgive me; when I started, it seems relevant enough.
2/7/2004 c1 Juliet
exceptional poem...and I felt this way every day of my senior year of high school...very bad times. Poetry is none other then feelings...expressed words for only ourselves to understand.
*jules*
7/2/2003 c1 138Lina Inverse
I really like how you put this. I think it was a bit extreme, comparing it to dissecting a frog or something, but it really intrigued me nevertheless.
3/4/2003 c1 27Loganberry
I loved this. The similarities with some of my English lessons of yore are almost painful! "Full of potential / (And similes)" I thought was brilliant. But naturally I shan't be loking too closely into just why. =;)
11/12/2002 c1 DragonsEclipse
Excellent! I think that people should read something for enjoyment, but sometimes you do have to take a deeper look to see what the author is really trying to say. That's not always the case though. Do you mind checking me out sometime? Keep writing! ^_^
8/29/2002 c1 sam
gawd, i couldn't agree any better. literature is not appreciation, it's pure carnage. i mean, which poet writes a poem about a personificated BROOM with the intention of bringing out some deep, hidden prolix about SLAVERY? it's not right. poems aren't meant to be taken apart or probed so cruelly. they should be appreciated for how well they rhyme (or not, it depends.), the fantastic, steady rhythm, the crassness or plain stupidity of the subject (i love those types =) ), NOT WHAT THEY FRIGGIN *HINT* AT! lol, pardon me. had to destroy three bloody good poems today.
6/1/2002 c1 1aceinit
I am so glad I'm no the only one who thinks literature should be read to be enjoyed-not analyzed to death to discover an author's hidden intentions or whatever the topic of the week is. I've read some truly beautiful works before that I've absolutely hated after we analyzed them to death (or "killed" them, as you so rightly phrased it.) Awesome and insightful, as always.
5/8/2002 c1 SmirkChick
yup, so true! I liked the way u set it out too!
3/10/2002 c1 10Katsy-chan
i kno exactly wat u mean...it works the same way wit books

once, in english class we read the outsiders and i thought it was a pretty good book...but then we had to analyze it. i ended up hating the book not because it was a bad book, but because we had to analyze it n i grew sick of it.

we're doing an edgar allen poe unit in class now..pretty soon we will have to analyz his poetry and short stories. Joy.

Anywho, very good poem...i wish i was that original...
2/16/2002 c1 AngelHair
No, he was dead already.

In my time I've killed a tonne of soldiers in the war poems we had to analyse, and also I remember analysing a poem on a ghost. Ha ha. The irony.

It works with books too: Curley's Wife and everyone else from "Of Mice and Men" are *all* dead now. Any liking I had for the book when we started has now gone and all I do is complain to my sister about how boring and depressing that book is (she's doing it now). I'm sure it really is quite good, but we analysed it to death, so all I can remember is how depressing it was and how bored *I* was! So there you go, lots of things dead. Lots of things I will unfortunatley never read again because of the "I remember when we analysed this bit" factor. "He says-Blah blah blah- but he really means-blah blah blah."

An A4 sheet is a normal sized peice of blank paper. The size that fits in folders.

Perembulate ... gaol.
2/14/2002 c1 3Beloved1
He he he. He he he. He. Love this one.

Today in English, WE killed Captain Corelli. (And/or John Proctor).

^-^