It was a crisp Saturday when a typically plump police officer knocked on my front door. He asked to come in and of course, like any honest citizen I complied. He was sitting across from me on my over stuffed couch that Meryin had slept on just two nights back. There we had a conversation that I should always remember.

"Good morning" he glanced down at his clipboard then at his watch "Miss Smith"

"Good morning"

"I'm afraid I have some bad news."

"Oh, alright"

"It's about your sister, Meryin."

"Oh, dear I knew something would happen eventually. What is it?"

"She was murdered last night." I leaned back my eyes growing huge and terrified.

"Who would want to do that? She never did anything to hurt any one! Why her? Why her? Why her?" My vision was blurred with tears as I choked the words out.

"I know this pains you lots. It always is to lose someone that close. You can help us figure things out if you feel up to it."

"Yes, I'll do anything to help, anything."

"Alright, when did you last see her? Was she here recently?"

"Yes, all last week."

"Where was she headed to when she left?"

"She was going back to her home in Greenville."

"Did she mention anything that might suggest a probable cause?"

"Oh no she only talked of nice things while she was here."

"Alright, that's all I need for now. Her are some phone numbers for emotional support if you need it."

"Oh, thank you I'm shore I will." He left then leaving me to think. I think a lot. Ever since that Friday, I take every free moment to think, about Maryin.

She had come to my house for the week before her wedding. She said that she wanted to spend her last week as a virgin with her best friend. We had always been very close since our parents had moved so much and we grew even closer in that week.

Friday, March 13th will stick in my mind forever but not for my dear sister's wedding but for her death. We had left the house at one in the morning so we could make it to Greenville in time to get every thing ready. There was no moon in the sky that night and the clouds covered every last star. A thick fog covered everything and the going was slow.

We would have never made it on time if we hadn't taken that shortcut down the dirt road but at least we would have gotten there. A few miles down the road we came to a ford threw a stream. Thick mud covered the flooded banks from the night before. I didn't want to chance it. I wanted to turn around and go back to the roads I knew but Meryin had always been a stubborn one.

First, the front wheels started sliding down the bank into the eddying water. Then the back wheels followed quickly, too quickly. We slid and slid then suddenly stopped. I pressed the gas all the way but nothing happened.

I grabbed the flashlight out of the glove compartment and started walking back the way we came. A mile or so down the road we came to a shack that we hadn't noticed before. A light was on in the window and smoke swirled from the chimney.

Meryin knocked on the door and a gruff man opened the door and smiled as if he had been expecting us. He drove us up to the main road but wouldn't let us leave. He did terrible things to us there terrible unimaginable unforgivable things. The man had a knife and he wanted blood, lots of it.

I escaped my body uncut but my soul in shreds. I don't quite know how I managed to get home alive but I did. That was six years ago. They said I went insane from grief. Maybe they were right. Meryin came to my house last Saturday to deliver a package. She didn't remember anything so I made her relive that week again. Now it is time to clean the blood from my car.