I sat at a table with all of the other fifth graders and opened up my lunch bag. Today was a turkey sandwich day. I wasn't exactly fond of turkey, but I'd skipped breakfast and my stomach was ready for anything that wasn't made of Penicillin. I pulled the sandwich out and squished the edges of the white bread between my fingers before taking a chomp out of the center edge.

After lunch, we filed back into the classroom and started to chatter. That's when we realized; Mr. Smith was nowhere to be seen. Instead a lady stood in his place, a slightly concerned look on her face.

"Where's Mr. Smith?" one of us asked and the woman looked at all of us staring up at her, waiting for an answer.

"He had to make a phone call," she said, "he's talking to his girlfriend."

"OooOoooOooh," someone called out, sending us into giggles. No one thought anything was wrong, and if they did they didn't voice it. That's when a voice came over the intercom.

"Will" so and so "please come down to the office with his belongings?" one of the administrators announced to the classroom. So and so stood up and we all asked him why he was leaving. He shrugged, not having a clue. One by one, students began to get called down to leave. We all speculated as we watched them leave.

Was something going on? Was this a joke? Mr. Smith came in for a moment to make sure we were alright and then went back out to talk to his girlfriend some more. Whatever he said, the message was clear. Something big had happened and they weren't allowed to tell us.

Then my name came over the intercom and I stood up, gathering my things. I walked down the stairs and to the office where my mom awaited me.

"What's going on?" I asked curiously, wearing a big smile. I hadn't seen my mom in a while and I was glad she had come to get me.

"I'll tell you when we get in the car," she said and I followed her to the Jeep, relaying what had happened in the classroom with all of the kids disappearing. I opened the bright yellow door, and as I threw my bag into the back of the car I asked her what was happening again. I had one foot in the car and was pulling the other one in to sit down when she told me.

"It's your father." Well, that was rather tactful of her. My lower lip trembled as I made an attempt not to burst into tears. "Wait, no your father is fine," she added realizing that probably wasn't the best thing to say. "I just haven't been able to get a hold of him since the last time he called me."

"What happened?" I asked, shutting the door and putting on my seatbelt. She paused, shifting the car into drive and pulling away from the school.

"There has been a terrorist attack," she paused and I waited for her to explain. "Some men took a couple of planes and flew them into the World trade center buildings in New York City, they also crashed one into the Pentagon." I started sobbing. This was terrible, I thought of all of the deaths and wondered why on earth anyone would do that.

"Is Dad okay?" My father worked in Washington D.C.

"He's fine. Luckily he got through to me, but not the lines are jammed up because everyone is trying to reach their family."

"This is awful," I said, tears still sliding down my face.

"Why would anyone do something like this?"

"I don't know honey." My mom said, looking like she was trying to hold back tears as well. She drove me to my grandma's house. Grandma was at work so it was my mom and me. We sat down on the couch together and turned the television on. I found chills running down as I watched the impossible replayed again and again on the screen. I curled up against my mom, and she changed the channel. I could have sat there and watched the footage for hours though. How could this have happened? Was this even possible? Was I dreaming? When I closed my eyes to hold back more tears all I could see was that plane folding itself into the building as smoke enveloped it. All I could think of was what it would feel like to be in that building, with the walls and ceiling crashing in, as fiery debris rained down on the workers. Thinking I had fallen asleep, my mom changed it back to the news where a man was talking. He said something along the lines of us just having witnessed history. I knew that there was no way I could ever forget.

To this day, I remember.