Chapter 3

Ding dong! Ding dong! The bell in the front room went off as my grandpa Bob came in the house. I got up off the bed and darted towards the door. I jumped over the step and attacked my grandpa. I hugged him and he squeezed back.

"I've missed you." I told him in a loud voice that echoed through the house. IN the few seconds of silence, I could hear footsteps coming towards us.

"I've missed you too." He said just as loud, smiling. "How's that mother of yours?"

"Good, missing you and grandma, but good." I smiled and gave him another hug and then turned around. "Grandpa, this is Erin and this is Nichole. They are my friends that I'm going on vacation with this summer." I said as I pointed to them and smiled.

"Well hi there. I'm Bob and you will have a blast here." He said as he gave them each individual smiles and walked past and down the hall.

"Yeah, so that's my grandpa." I smiled and they did in return.

"He seems really nice." Nichole said as she broke the awkward silence.

"Yeah..." Erin agreed and she walked toward our room and we both followed.

We walked to the spare room and I grabbed my flip-flops from my suitcase and put them on. I walked down the hall toward the kitchen to tell my grandma and grandpa that we were going to the dock for a bit.

"Where are you going?" Erin asked as she struggled to put her shoes on.

"To the dock. Go tell Nichole." I told her. Then she ran down the hall to get Nichole. I waved to my grandparents and yelled that we were going down to the lake as I headed to the porch. A few moments later, they were by my side and we were walking down the front lawn. We had to pause at the road because a bunch of trucks and cars were going by. So when they stopped and let us cross we ran and laughed when we got to the other side.

The air by the water was colder than by the house. We walked down the steps to get to the dock. As I stepped foot on the dock a flash of good memories fluttered over me. I just stood there while Erin and Nichole walked past me to scout out the dock. I finally snapped out of it and ran up to them. We stood on the edge of the dock, staring down at the pond. The water was clear and I could see the tire on the bottom and some fish coming up towards the surface looking for food. We walked onward, looking at the boat, and inside the shed where we catch fish. Then I showed them the sliding bored and the roof top. I stared at the water and so did they. I knew this summer would be wonderful. All of a sudden, the water started to ripple and I glanced up to the sky, getting wet on my cheek. I realized it was starting to rain and at Harvey's Lake; it rained hard and got heavy quick. So we got up and ran up the docks stairs and by the road, waiting for the cars to let us cross. It felt like forever as we covered our heads with our arms and finally crossed the busy road and into the house.

As we flew open, the door the smell of fresh fruit and pancakes flew in our faces. Mmmmm I thought. My grandpa made the best pancakes. We walked to the kitchen and my grandma wavered for us to sit down. I sat at the chair next to my grandpa, and Erin and Nichole sat next to me and my grandma. We waited for my grandpa to bring us over our plates. First were grandma, then Nichole and Erin then me and grandpa. It looked delicious! Two light, fluffy pancakes with very light cream cheese in between with freshly picked strawberries and blueberries with a cup of water. Grandpa always took care of his guests like family. I could tell that the berries were previously picked because I found a few sticks on the counter when I put the dishes in the sink.

"Thank you for dinner grandpa it was AMAZING!" I said picking up everyone's empty cups and plates and bringing them to the sink to wash.

"Thank you. I thought you'd like it." He smiled and pushed his chair out and looked towards the girls. "How did you like it?" he asked.

"Very well, thank you very much." Erin said in a very polite manor.

"I really liked the touch of cream cheese." Nichole added and smiled in return.

"Good." My grandpa answered and got up to stretch. "I will be in my office. I have some paper work to be done by Sunday when everyone comes over." He walked away and into his office.

"Girls, what would you like to do? It's six o'clock so you have until 10. The games are on the porch and the remote is in the T.V. cabinet. I will be in my room reading." She grabbed her reading glasses from off of the counter and headed for her room.

"Well… What do you want to do?" I asked as I slouched into my chair.

"We could read, play a game, watch a movie or T.V…" Erin suggested looking around the room boredly.

"I want to watch T.V. I'm super tired." She got up and headed to the living room, plopping herself on the couch with one foot hanging off the arm of the couch and the other against the back. We both shrugged and followed.

Looking for something to watch took a long time because they had like no channels. Finally, we found ABC family. A Pretty Little Liar marathon was on until midnight. We all sat intensely watching as we were astounded by the things that were happening. Although we all knew what was going to happen next because we've seen them like four times.

It was exactly ten o'clock and we heard footsteps coming down the hall. My grandma came around the corner and turned the kitchen light off.

"Come on girls it's ten o'clock. Shut the television off and into bed." My grandma said as she walked towards us. We all got up and I shut the T.V. off and we headed to the hall. "I will be in, in a minute to say goodnight."

"Ok." I said as I entered the room. Erin and Nichole were getting out there clothes.

"I wish we didn't have to go to bed now…" Nichole said.

"Well..." I gave them a little grin "We could wait a bit and then when we hear snoring we could go out and watch the rest." I smiled and sat on the bed.

"Sounds good to me." Nichole answered, smiling as well.

Erin had a worried look on her face. I smiled to her and she did as well in return. We heard footsteps and some talking between my grandma and grandpa. The footsteps were getting closer and then my grandma knocked on the door.

"Hold on one second gram, I'm still changing." I lied.

"Ok." She said still standing there.

I pointed to the bed and got under the blankets, pulling them up to my neck. Nichole and Erin did as well. "You can come in now." I said.

The door opened and my grandma stepped in. "Good night girls. Busy day tomorrow, sleep well." She smiled and turned around and left, closing the door behind her.

I waited until I heard her bedroom door close before I spoke. "Just until we hear snoring." I said.

We waited and just laid there. Then about 20 minutes later we heard snoring and no movement through the house. We slowly got out of bed and filed out of the room one by one. We walked to the living room quietly and sat on the couch. I grabbed the remote and turned the T.V. on and as soon as I heard volume, I turned it down. We sat intensely as the second to last episode of the marathon was halfway over.

Nichole lied her head on Erin's shoulder and Erin held her head up with her arm, which was leaning on the arm of the couch. I was turned the other way with my feet off the couch and my head against the couch's arm. I guess I fell asleep because I don't remember seeing the first half of the next episode. I sat up and glanced towards Nichole and Erin. They were both awake and watching the show.

It was the end of the last episode and I didn't want to get up but we had too or we'd get in trouble. After a few commercials after the show ended, I got up and turned the television off. I grabbed Nichole's hand and pulling with all of my might to get her out of her seat. My might wasn't much because I was half asleep but it was enough to get her to stand up. Erin followed and skipped down the hall. We tip-toed into the spare room, listening to the sound of snoring coming from my grandparents room, and closed the door before we turned the light off. We laughed because my grandpa snored so funny. And we were tired and when we get tired, we get silly and everything makes us laugh. After we changed into our pajamas, we got our beds situated and ready. It wasn't long before all three of us were passed out.

It was about four A.M. when I was poked in the back twice. I turned around and Nichole was staring at me wide eyed. I was about to say something when a clap of thunder startled me and I jumped. Nichole giggled and I smiled.

"This storm is horrible." Nichole said and shuttered.

"I know. I hate storms. How long have you been awake?" I asked closing my eyes and then quickly opening them because of another clap of thunder.

"About fifteen minutes. I waited because I thought you or Erin would have woken up as well."

"Oh. Sorry but I guess I was super tired…"

"Yeah. I thought I was too but I guess not. For some reason I don't want to go back to bed."

"I don't either but yet I do… Haha."

"Come with me to the kitchen."

"Okay. My throat hurts so I'm gonna try to find some meds."

As quietly as possible, we climbed out of bed trying not to wake anyone up. We were just about to shut the door behind us when we heard a whisper.

"Where are you going?" Erin asked in a soft voice.

"To the kitchen." I said as I reopened the door.

"I'm coming too." Erin said and rolled over and off the bed. She closed the door behind her and we walked to the kitchen.

"Do you want a drink?" I asked Erin as I tossed Nichole one.

"Sure" she replied.

I threw her water and grabbed my own. I let go of the fridge door letting it close by itself. I quietly opened the cupboard and looked for the Excedrin bottle. After moving a bunch of bottles and containers around, I found it. The little green bottle only had two left but I needed one. I grabbed one and put the container back, shutting the cupboard door and taking the pill.

The rain washed over the kitchen window and the lightning flash lit up the whole kitchen, showing all of our faces for a split second. It was dark but the sound of the storm was so soothing. We stood there in silence for a while and then another clap of thunder scared us. We all jumped towards each other. It happened repeatedly but instead of going back to our room, we stayed there and just huddled around each other drinking our waters.

After the thunder was done, we headed for our rooms. I was the last to enter the room so I closed the door behind me and turned the light on. We sat on the bed in a circle. Erin was sitting with her knees to her chest; Nichole sat with her legs spread apart and partly off the bed. I sat down Indian style with my hands holding me up behind me. We sat there and listened to the rain and watched the lightning. Every now and then, we would talk or make a comment about people from school.

"What are we doing tomorrow?" Erin asked.

"I was thinking, maybe we could go swimming, or my grandpa could take us on a boat ride… I don't know. Just thinking."

"That sounds good. I guess it all depends on the weather tomorrow…" Erin stated.

"True… What's wrong Nichole?" I asked, staring at her.

"Nothing. I was just listening to the rain." Nichole said as she kept staring out of the window.

"Oh. Well what do you think we should do tomorrow?" I asked.

"I don't know. Whatever you want I guess… I hope the rain stops. I would like to take a walk."

"That sounds good!" Erin said, hoping up and down on her butt.

"Yeah, if the rain stops, we could go to the store around the lake." I said and laid down staying in the same position. We laughed and I got back up.

By this time, it was already quarter to five. We decided to go to bed because I knew my grandparents' would wake up around 7. I got up and turned the light off and they both hopped into bed and so did I. After crawling under the blankets I rested my head on the corner of my pillow, curled up in a ball, and watched the water run off the window and onto the ground. I guess I was the first one asleep because I didn't hear the regular snoring as always. The sound of breathing got lighter and lighter and then I fell into a nice, relaxing sleep.