Just In
Community
Forum
V
More
Forums » On the Edge »
Keeping You On the Edge of Your Seat
A xbluxmoonx

What's the best thriller ever? What's the worst? What's kept you killing a pillow in your death grip because of the major suspense? Discuss it all here. Enjoy!

11/7/2006 #1 Report
Endsville

I honestly don't have a clue!

11/8/2006 #2 Report
Salvador Edlin

The best ones are the ones that keep you on your toes, gnawing your nails, trembling like heck! They're always unpredictable and suspensful to the reader/viewer. The worst ones are the ones that don't rely on suspense and time to suspend one's belief (or disbelief).

11/8/2006 #3 Report
Endsville

Sounds good enough to me. You mean the ones that don't stop with the suspense right?

11/9/2006 #4 Report
WitchGhost

Well if your looking for thrillers to read James Patterson has allot of good novels out! WHat I look for in a thriller is suspence, plot twists, and an unpredictible ending.

11/9/2006 #5 Report
Endsville

Gotta agree with you about unpredictable endings, they're the best parts of any thriller without a doubt. I can't remember the name of this one thriller but it's ending was great!

11/10/2006 #6 Report
writergurlLW

I guess then that my thriller isn't that exciting. Description.... good, word usage..... okay, ending you didn't see coming.... nearly perfect, but suspense...eh.

1/10/2007 #7 Report
A xbluxmoonx

lol. i love suspense. ^__^ i try to always have that in my stories. sometimes, though. i feel like i'm gonna sleep through. usually, if i don't find my story suspenseful, i don't like writing it anymore. that's why i'm gonna revise a couple of my stories. though, i doubt i'll even have much time. lol. :-)

1/13/2007 #8 Report
writergurlLW

Some of my friends tell me that I am the suspense queen but that's only in a few stories. Read my story "A journey through hell" for instance. It's not a thriller but it's a historical/action/adventure.

1/14/2007 #9 Report
A xbluxmoonx

sounds interesting. ^__^

1/20/2007 #10 Report
Gabriel El Jibaro

Best thriller ever? Two words: JACOB'S LADDER. It gave me goose-bumps, it creeped me out, it made me kill my first puppy (God bendiga, Sasha, sorry!) it shook me so much I had convulsions, and, in the end, after it was all over, it gave me a b***. A living work of perfection that movie. And the best part is barely anybody has ever heard of it. Pulled it out of an old VHS collection my dad had, and I've had it ever since. Try and see it, it will blow you away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dios bendiga, Gabriel El Jibaro

1/21/2007 #11 Report
writergurlLW

It made you kill your first puppy? literally? I do want to watch a movie that would make me that scared but I hope I don't have the same affect!

1/22/2007 #12 Report
Gabriel El Jibaro

Don't you think I feel the same way? ...

1/24/2007 #13 Report
A xbluxmoonx

you killed ur puppy????? ah! that's terrible! i'm sorry. but what happens in that movie? no major details. i can't stand too much gore.

1/24/2007 #14 Report
Hear As The Outcasts Hear

I think the best thrillers are the ones that keep freaked out...but wanting to find out how it ends. The ones that keep you turning the pages (or if it's a movie, glued to the TV)

2/11/2007 #15 Report
A xbluxmoonx

yep, those are da best. :-D

3/9/2007 #16 Report
DuckyTutu

Sounds pretty demented for it. You should see "The Cell." It's really, really demented.

4/20/2007 #17 Report
DuckyTutu

Sounds pretty demented for it. You should see "The Cell." It's really, really demented.

4/20/2007 #18 Report
dog problems

Uh... anything by Stephen King. He scares the living s*** out of me. - Colleen

4/28/2007 . Edited 5/5/2007 #19 Report
mapusyaw

the worst horror movies are those that rely on gore to keep the audience at the edge of their seats. they're not scary, they're disgusting! i haven't seen "the cell" but since you recommended it, i'll rent it at the video store the next time i visit it. The last thriller movie i enjoyed was Gothika. very few things freak me out but it's Neil Gaiman's Babies that freaked me out. *shudder*

8/15/2007 #20 Report
Plugin2Noise

In response to "The Cell," anything with Vince D'nofrio in it scares the hell out of me... well at least he does... I think that particular flick would have been a little more intense without J Lo. Memento is by far my favorite thriller. I got up and threw something at my roommate as soon as that movie finished. Alien is one of my all time favoriets too, but I might call that horror as much as thriller. The Usual suspects was also top notch, especially keeping the intensity up when the whole story is told in flashback.

8/30/2007 #21 Report
Vermillion-Skies

Yeah..."The Cell" is pretty...deranged. I think is the word I want.

12/18/2008 #22 Report
taerkitty

I'd say Robert Redford / Brad Pitt's "Spy Game" is one of the better spy thriller movies I've seen. The premise is audacious - on the end of the last day before retirement for Robert Redford's veteran CIA agent, he learns that his protege, played by Brad Pitt, has been captured by the enemy, but the Agency has decided not to do anything about it. In fact, they tell Redford's character that he is under orders not to do anything, and they'll be watching him.

Of course, Redford's character tries to rescue his protege. The movie plays out partially in flashbacks on how they met, what they did, and how they ended up where they did: one in Langley, the other in a foreign prison. The other segments are the steps building up to the rescue, which are done while he seemingly goes about his everyday business closing out his files and making his goodbye visits.

It's memorable because it is so airtight, so understated, and so well-written. The plot showed how astute and resourceful Redford's character was in the middle of such a claustrophobic situation. The interstitials with Pitt's protege show decent character development and well-rounded background information in a natural, unobtrusive way.

12/26/2009 #23 Report
surfercharlie25

Best movies? Nothing has ever beat Rear Window for me. Great plotting, great direction by Alfred Hitchcock, great performances by James Stewart and Grace Kelly... yeah.

Honorable Mentions:

Charley Varrick

Westworld

The Boys from Brazil

Soylent Green

The Silence of the Lambs

Books? My fave is Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin. It's a nice mix between horror and thriller. Of course, there's so many different kinds of thrillers, so it's hard to narrow down. Among others I like are To the White Sea, The Alienist, Trunk Music, The Blue Knight, etc, etc, blah blah blah.

1/3/2011 #24 Report
MercedesPhoenix

One of the horror/thriller movies I absolutely adored was one called "Psych 9". It's about this girl with some... problems. It has some mystery to it as well, and you don't really figure out everything until the very last moment of the story. I don't think it's very well known, but it's absolutely FANTASTIC. If you don't like pop-ups, this movie only has one towards the beginning, so you don't have to worry about being scared brainless.

8/6/2011 #25 Report
A Fire Rose

All I can think of is the television show Fringe. Does that count?

10/14/2011 #26 Report
A Fire Rose

Suspence is super difficult, at least for me!

8/22/2012 #27 Report
Reply  Follow Follow

Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service