Just In
Community
Forum
V
More
Forums » Favorite Horror Movie »
Favorite horror movie
Cool Monsters

From Beyond was based on a Lovecraft story, but they retold it before the opening credits, and made up the rest. I noticed Bucket of Blood was remade as Little Shop of Horrors. Same plot, same characters.

11/4/2009 #151 Report
Covershot

"AVP is 'Alien vs Predator'. Basically, it took both franchises, mushed them together and steered the result into an intergalactic brick wall at 90m/hr."

You think AVP is bad, then just wait 'till you see AVP: Requiem. Dear god, what a mess.

On another note, some more movies I forgot to list:

Alien (1979) - Ah yes, the original classic, before needless sequels wrecked the experience (Aliens was good, but Alien 3 and 4 and the AVP movies should never have existed).

The Exorcist (1973) - I find myself having to defend this movie more and more modern viewers, who have come to see this movie as nothing more than "silly" or "boring". It's sad that the movie's psychological meanings and messages completely fly over the heads of the minds of viewers today.

Poltergeist (1982) - Another great movie that, unfortunately, was turned into nothing more than another cash cow horror movie franchise.

Paranormal Activity (2009) - One of the few "modern" horror movies I like. Proves you don't need a big budget and fancy CGI to make a good horror flick. If you don't believe me, then the success of the film at the box office speaks for itself.

11/5/2009 #152 Report
Cool Monsters

Most franchises are a mistake. Nightmare On Elm Street should have ended with the first picture. Instead they kept making sequels until Freddy became a joke. Friday the 13th got worse with every sequel. Freddy vs. Jason was a text book example on how not to make a movie. There was no way it could have been good, and it sure wasn't.

The Exorcist was considered so shocking when it came out that it was banned by religious groups.

Apparently the rule for horror movies now is to show as much gore as possible before the closing credits. No plot, no characterization. Hopefully these movies will eventually be forgotten and film directors will go back to movies that will be remembered after they're watched.

11/5/2009 #153 Report
horrorjunkie666

"Apparently the rule for horror movies now is to show as much gore as possible before the opening credits"

Gore in a film isn't necessarily a bad thing. Too much gore is incredibly annoying. Like, say, the Hills Have Eyes 2. Pointless, albeit imaginative, gore that put me to sleep out of boredom. However, take Event Horizon, which is incredibly violent, yet still shocking and damn scary in parts. It's all relative I guess.

While on the subject, Event Horizon is easily my favorite horror movie, after the Lost Boys.

And I'm stubbornly refusing to watch AVP: Requiem on account of every review I've read says they screwed up spectacularly with everything but the gore factor.

11/5/2009 #154 Report
Fractured Illusion

I don't mind gore all that much either, haha :p I kind of get more annoyed when horror movies rely on those it-is-quiet-but-now-the-killer-jumps-out-and-BANG-the-music-say kind of thing. Too much gore is bad though, of course, and off putting.

Saw something apparently labeled horror today :o

The Ninth Gate, with Johnny Depp. I'd call it Mystery-Supernatural over horror but it just gives me an excuse to pimp it here :p

Summary: A rare book dealer, while seeking out the last two copies of a demon text, gets drawn into a conspiracy with supernatural overtones.

11/5/2009 #155 Report
Fractured Illusion

Ok thats it. Event Horizon is on my to-watch list, becase I keep hearing about it lately. Must form own opinion! XD

11/5/2009 #156 Report
Cool Monsters

Haven't seen it, but the summary makes it sound like a horror movie.

11/5/2009 #157 Report
horrorjunkie666

I've seen it. I was going through a Johnny Depp phase about three years ago, and ... yeah. I didn't really enjoy it, to be honest. I kinda got bored, and the second half of the film is a half awake, four in the morning blur that didn't make much of an impact. Still, though, Johnny Depp was awful pretty.

Nothing happens, bang with the killer and the creepy music is just so darn funny though. It makes for a good night in with the popcorn and the laughing.

And Event Horizon must be watched. Late at night. In the dark.

11/5/2009 #158 Report
Fractured Illusion

Yeah it's not the best movie ever...but Depp was a book detective. it was cool, man. :( And the devil was involved. Then again I am always a sucker for stories like that...ahaha...ha.

Pfft Ima watch it early morning then XD

11/5/2009 #159 Report
horrorjunkie666

It had it's good points, at least the first half did, 'cause the second is mostly forgotten. I just didn't really like it. Different strokes for Different folks and all that jazz.

by the by, in the Saw movies, which I haven't seen but have a few gorefest fans among my friends, how the hell did they make the last three movies if the big bad dies in the third? I'm bewildered over here.

11/5/2009 #160 Report
Cool Monsters

Haven't seen those pictures, but Freddy and Jason die again and again and it doesn't bother them. Psycho killers tend to be immune to death, the laws of physics, and common sense.

11/5/2009 #161 Report
horrorjunkie666

Freddie has a bit of an excuse in that he's a weird demon/killer/dream/hybrid/thing. Jason, not so much. Still, I agree, common sense is definitely lacking, and there's only so much willing suspension of disbelief can do for a body.

11/5/2009 #162 Report
Fractured Illusion

but Freddy and Jason die again and again and it doesn't bother them.

XD

This part cracks me up!

Regarding Jaws, maybe I saw a different movie, but in one of them, they had taken random sharks and made biotechnology experiments or something...adn the sharks became smarter.

11/5/2009 #163 Report
horrorjunkie666

Was that one with the sharks 'Deep Blue Sea' by any chance. Bunch of people. Middle of the ocean. Unstable science place and huge sharks that kill to be free. In gruesome, cool ways, for sharks.

11/5/2009 #164 Report
Fractured Illusion

Oh.

Uhm...

Well I have no clue about the saw franchise then, never really watched a lot of shark movies.

11/5/2009 #165 Report
horrorjunkie666

With Saw, I'm talking about the films with the horrible gruesome traps and the crazy serial killer who's not a serial killer because he always gives people an (torturous, rather die than do it) out.

11/5/2009 #166 Report
Fractured Illusion

Oh see, its like, after midnight here, and I compleeetely misread! Haha..ha. XD

Sorry for the embarassing mixup :x

11/5/2009 #167 Report
horrorjunkie666

It happens ... for all I know I mighta typed Jaw accidentally. It being after midnight here as well ....

11/5/2009 #168 Report
Covershot

Personally, I stopped watching the "Saw" series after the second as they seem to get worse and worse. When they keep making movies after the main villain is dead, that's when you know it's time to stop seeing them. Luckily, Saw VI didn't do so as great as expected at the box office.

And "Event Horizon" was decent. Not spectacular, but it's a pretty entertaining sci-fi/horror movie.

11/5/2009 #169 Report
horrorjunkie666

I cherpose. Haha. I justdidn't sit down and watch them at all, so I'm even more confused while listening to people chat about the cancer ridden serial killer who just won't go away, when the chap is very very dead.

Event Horizon remains on of the three films I've screamed during. The other two were, admittedly, Hocus Pocus and Jurassic Park, but I was only a little kid watching those two. *blushes*

Guess it really is different strokes for different folks.

11/6/2009 #170 Report
Tantei-san

My favorite horror movie is Arachnophobia. It scared the heck out of me! Psycho is also good. Gotta love Hitchcock.

11/7/2009 #171 Report
Fractured Illusion

Watched Event Horizon, at last. Gotta agree with Covershot - was decent, but no real wow-factor. In fact, I'd like to watch the first crew's story more :p May I ask what part you screamed at, horrorjunkie?

Also checked out Guillermo's Cronos (a take on vampires). For me, it was incredibly boring and even though it was a fairly short movie, I couldn't find the patience to finish :x

I am running out of movies I wanna watch! D= Halp! Something fairly recent, please. Not one of the oldies or classics. I need to be in certain moods for those. In the meantime, gonna scout this topic. Already added Session 9.

11/7/2009 #172 Report
Cool Monsters

Can't help you there, gave up on the recent movies.

11/7/2009 #173 Report
Fractured Illusion

Shame that. Plenty of good ones out there.

11/7/2009 #174 Report
horrorjunkie666

Mostly ... the ending, when the mask pops up.

As for horror movies, apart from the classics, I'm all out ...

11/7/2009 #175 Report
Covershot

"Shame that. Plenty of good ones out there."

If you haven't already, try The Strangers (2008). It's not the best, but it's good enough for a straightforward slasher-flick that doesn't use buckets of blood and gore to entertain you. Also, Paranormal Activity (2009) is great.

Ultimately though, it depends on what you like in a horror movie and what you consider "old". If you like blood, guts, and gore and boat-loads of CGI, the aforementioned two are NOT for you. I would suggest something from the Saw series or The Grudge. Even though I despise those two, I know people who love them, if only for the new age special effects. On my second point though, I don't know what you'd consider "old" considering there have been horror movies since the 1920s.

Some others:

Thirty Days of Night (2007)

Halloween (since you don't want old movies, theres always the remake. Though I'll warn you now, it's nowhere near as good as the classic, same with Friday the Thirteenth).

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

I'm actually not much of a fan of any of the horror films I've posted above - save Paranormal Activity - (I'm more of an oldies fan, myself), but you may enjoy them.

11/8/2009 #176 Report
Fractured Illusion

@Covershot

Planning to see Paranormal Activity (despite the reviews of how lame it was :P). The rest I have already seen, sans Halloween remake, because it just doesnt seem interesting from what I heard.

I consider old movies before the 90's, but that's because I grew up then :p

11/8/2009 #177 Report
Covershot

???

Bad reviews? It has an 85% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and it went to #1 at the box office, beating out even Saw VI. For a movie made on such a ridiculously low budget ($15,000.00) that's pretty good.

And if you're looking for pre-90's stuff, then what about Orphan (2009) or The Unborn (2009). I hate both movies with a passion, but my friends always rave about how good they are. You can also try the remake of The Omen.

11/9/2009 #178 Report
LadyAristova

Probably the scariest horror movie I've seen...

It's a close tie between The Sixth Sense and Signs, although they're more physiological thriller than horror.

12/22/2009 #179 Report
LadyAristova

let's see...

My brother does not get scared easily, but he said when he and his friend Michael went and saw Quarantine, they got so scared, they were holding on to each other...

12/22/2009 #180 Report
225 found: « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »
Reply  Follow Follow

Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service